Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHelp vertical Neon
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Help! I woke up this morning to one of my neons swimming almost vertical at the top of the tank. I checked the parameters:
Temp 76 degrees
PH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

My husband planned on doing a water change today, since the gravel looks a little gucky. I just got 3 angels and 3 apple snails last Sunday. (They've finally gotten comfortable in their new digs.) Do you think the angels went after him during the night? I don't see any white spots, but then he's sooo little.... All the other fish are swimming about fine.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2009 17:37Profile PM Edit Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
I don't know if it's passable to the other fish. So we scooped him up into a plastic cup. He's swimming on the bottom of the cup. Not moving about, but I see his fins moving a little bit and he's breathing. (mouth opening & closing regular).

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2009 17:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MoFish
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 40
female usa
depending on the size of the angels, its most likely that they tried to eat him because neons are their natural prey.
Sorry I cant help with healing that much but all i would do is put him in a small tank (using current tank water) and make sure his water stays crystal clear to prevent infection and see if he makes it.
Good luck, hope the little guy makes it

~Morgan~
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2009 18:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Angels and Neons just do not mix unless you like providing them with a 5* meal. You will have to decide which fish you want to keep.

With the
a water change today, since the gravel looks a little gucky
. I strongly suggest you do a very good deep gravel vac. Many like to do it in sections you could do it in two water changes. The area you dont do run your hands over the surface of the gravel and let the vac pick up the muck.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2009 02:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
He didn't make it. But he was always going off by himself, (even when it was just the neons in the tank) so it was bound to happen. The angels aren't that big, maybe 1 1/2 inches give or take, but they could have done it. All other parties are swimming fine. So, we'll see if the angels take any one else out. The neons will be moved. (My hubby is on the circle of life thing, so they may turn out to be the 5 star meal.)

Hubby took care of the gravel vac this morning. I'll squeeze out the foam from the filter tonight in a bucket of leftover tank water. (I had him scoop some out before he pythoned the tank.)

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2009 03:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
ahhh,ive been there b4,i bet it would have been your angels,even if the angels arnt big enuff to actully eat the neons,as they are the natural prey of angels,they will be constanly harrased,and even thoo angels dont really look mean,they are still a cichlid that can dish out aggresion,so as said above you probly should pick one or the other,id go with the angels,much easer to keep,better looking if you ask me,more hardy than neons,the last angel pair i had were great,they hand fed,pumped out the babies,wernt nasty to there tankmates,yeah they were real good..also some mite disagree,but id try to get them nitrates down to around ten,one thing i did find with neons was that they didnt like nitrates,this and the angels picking on him probly finished him off,just my thoughts!
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2009 09:00Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies