|faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox|
|I've got Ich, and cant seem to get rid of it....|
This has been going on for 4 days now, I am treating with Malachite blue ( spelling?)at 1/2 dose, and melafix. Temp is at 80.
its not getting any better, usually by now, i've got rid of it, the few times Ive had ich.( I mean its off of the fish...- OOPS)
Tankmates- 6 diamond tetra, 1 female krib, 1 pictus cat- all are fine.
no ammonia, no nitrite, 20 nitrate, ph 7.0
doing 20 % water changes between doses daily- and no carbon in filters...
she is extremely lethargic, breathing heavy, clamped fins, only comes out when I go near tank. Im feeding very litely, and she will eat.
Any ideas? suggestions?
|Posted 02-Jan-2010 16:26|
Maybe you can put her in a separate tank... and slowly salt the water. If not maybe a quick saline dip? I found that ich reacts better to the meds if the temp is raised to about 82 and you slowly add salt to the water. Since you have a cat in the tank, I'm a little worried about adding salt to the home tank. Hope that helps.
|Posted 02-Jan-2010 17:22|
The ich life cycle can last longer, so you should be patient. The white cysts are unaffected by medication and will only go away once that part of the life cycle is complete.
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
|Posted 02-Jan-2010 18:32|
I'm sure she didnt take the temp fluctuations as well as the others. Actually that am I noticed something was wrong because of her labored breathing.....that was the first symptom with all of this.
Could the fact that she laid eggs a few days before the heater malfuction, have weakened her enough for the heater issue to stress her enough to cause the ich?? She was not amused when I took out her eggs.
I thought about moving her- but- Ive only got a 10 gal available- considering she is 5-6 in and very thick, I dont think its an option, That and she likes to rest in her cave which wont fit in the 10. ( a large flowerpot)
I'm trying to be patient, but honestly the only few ich outbreaks Ive had- the ich was only visable for 2 days. How long can this continue?? And is there anything else I can do?? And as stressed as she is- heavly breathing, hiding, just laying there all the time unless She sees me... Im really worried if she's gonna pul threw if this lasts much longer.
|Posted 02-Jan-2010 22:37|
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
|Posted 03-Jan-2010 03:08|
I understand that ich doesnt just go away, and that its basically a month's time to be sure your "rid" of it. I've rarely had an outbreak, and just have never seen it visable on a fish this long.
With her labored breathing- is it safe to raise the temp,over 80?? to speed this up, or will 80 suffice?
Whats the longest time it will be visible on her? She isnt getting any worse, but isnt getting any better either.But I guess no worse- is a good sign.
Unfortunately Ive grown VERY attached, she is very much like a black lab puppy in personality- and To be honest- Im worried sick.
|Posted 03-Jan-2010 05:20|
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I hate to repeat myself but here is the answer
Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW http://www.aquarank.com/image.php?id=fishprof" border="0"> VOTE NOW
|Posted 03-Jan-2010 06:10|
Small Fry with Ketchup
Sorry if I missed something here but that half dose treatment is bothering me.
If you're doing it because of the pictus, try getting one of the 'safe for loaches' medications, not sure what's out in america these days, but I know there are plenty of meds out there. Ich is one of those things you have to attack head on full scale no half measures.
Ich can get stronger. I know when I had it I read plenty of articles. Seems raising the temp to 90 once worked, but these days if you're treating just with temp (Not Recommended!) you have to raise it to 100 simply because Ich was able to adapt, just like all these superbugs out there these days. If you've done a full treatment cycle but only at half dose some of these may be ones that weren't killed and are now stronger.
Increased temp only speeds up the life cycle, remember it's only when they drop off that they can be killed by the medications.
Adding the melafix, I've never really had much success treating anything with melafix. If you're starting a second round of treatment I'd suggest a bacteria booster with the water change. Also run an airstone with the raised water temperature to help agitate the surface to increase oxygen exchange into the water. That can help with the labored breathing. If you don't have an airstone raise up the level of the filter inflow to the tank so it splashes the surface more, even a little change can help.
Additionally, check carefully to make sure they're actually raised bumps, some of what you might be seeing could be scars, I've heard of some fish getting scars from Ich similar to chicken pox scars in humans (never seen it for myself though so don't know how common it is).
Hope that was coherent enough, pain killers are kicking in
|Posted 05-Jan-2010 00:20|
I have used Rid-Ich+ before with success. I have Kuhli loaches and at the time of treatment some Corys. I only raised the temp between 80-82deg just to speed up the cycle of ich. I hope this helps, good luck.
|Posted 05-Jan-2010 01:09|
The melafix. I've read it helps with the stress from dealing with the ich infection.
I have since went and got one safe for everyone, and will start TX with that tomorrow. Ive gone 2 full rounds now of the first...I am doing a 50% water change in the am, then dosing.
I added an airstone And lowered water a bit to increase O2 almost immediately once I fixed the temp problem that started this. It is still this way.
I have been following dosages and water changes as per directions.. only at a 1/2 dose because of pictus
Today breathing is better, she is more active, and not as many spots- so the ich is starting to be free floating.
I'm sure it is ich, not scars, she looks like I rolled her in a sugar , about 50% of her was covered. Today it looks more like 35-40%.
I havent seen any spots on anyone else. But I cant be 100% sure about the diamond tetras- given their coloring, and the fact they dont hold still in front of the glass for inspection like the others.Im 95% sure the diamonds are fine. Its just the BP affected.
I understand about the painkillers.. Bad knees and cold winters don't mix.... I think they had kicked in the fisrt time I read keiths post...
|Posted 05-Jan-2010 01:29|
Small Fry with Ketchup
Sounds like you are on the right track then, but you're right I've never known ich to stick around for so long, any chance that bottle you first started using was expired? Or close to expiration? Could have even been stored improperly at the store (too hot, too cold, that sort of thing) making it go off and not as effective.
Melafix usually doesn't hurt, we've added it from time to time, just wanted to make sure you weren't using it as a treatment in itself. I've seen people do that before !
Keep doing what you're doing. Rather then the 50% change all at once, any chance to do 25% tonight then another 25% in the morning? Be sure you're really digging down with that gravel vac and covering as much surface as you can, get as many as the free floaters as you can. If you do have cycle or another bacteria booster around now would be a good time to use it.
Sounds like you're seeing some progress, hopefully this next dose will get it all.
|Posted 05-Jan-2010 03:30|
Yeah, i can do 25 tonight and 25 in the am...
Im hope this next time gets it. It seems to be going on forever...
And yeah Ive got some cycle to throw in too..
Thanks Babel, Holly
|Posted 05-Jan-2010 04:11|
An update and NEW question
Up date- as of today- all ich is off her- behavior is back to 100% normal, I'm following another 3 day tx to hopefully get whatever is free floating, tank had 2 very deep cleanings with the water changes.
where she had the largest concentrations of ich, she is now very very washed out in color. where is normally deep orange- is almost a flesh color, where is normally deep black- is a very very light grey. It doesnt look like a fungus, or even slime... just patches that are VERY pale.
Could this be the scarring talked about earlier?? OR is this something else?? I'll be keeping a close eye on it, But if this was another type of infection, I doubt she would be acting and behaving like her old self. correct??
I've just never seen anything like this, and I'm curious as to what it is, and why.
|Posted 06-Jan-2010 20:05|
The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.
FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0