SubscribeInjured Tetra
Tiamet2B
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 48
Votes: 10
female usa
EditedEdited by tiamet2b
I have 4 lemon tetra and 3 cory cats in my 10 gallon tank. This morning, I noticed one of my tetra was staying in the top corner of the tank. It looks like one of the other fish bit off the bottom "point" of its tail fin. There is about half a centimeter of fin missing. I think one of the larger tetra nipped it. They do chase eachother around a lot. What should I do to help the little fish heal????
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 19:25Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Tiamet2B
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
I forgot to say that these fish have been together for almost a year with no problems.... What would cause them to injure eachother now? Thanks everyone
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 21:22Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Needeles
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 65
Votes: 52
male usa
Do you know if they are male or female? Have you made any changes to the tank lately such as moving the decor or plants?

They may have simply just gotten to rough with each other. Is the one in the corner one of the smaller ones? How many plants or fake plants do you have in the tank? If not alot try to add a few more. Do you have any caves in the tank?

Try to answer some of the above and this might give us a better idea. Most likely one just was to crowded and simply got upset about the other one coming into it's space.

Live life to it's fullest
Who knows what tomorrow holds
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 22:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 197
Votes: 90
male usa
I have 4 lemon tetras in my tank. and fin nipping is just part of having them. They frequently nip at each others bottom fins. I would use melafix to help it heal.

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 01:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
What I can remember about them they can become fin nippers, while others are no problem at all. I also think they prefer to be in larger schools. If the ones you have are mostly males here could be the problem.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 01:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Tiamet2B
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
I'm not exactly sure about the male to female ratio, but by comparing them to the profile for lemon tetra, it seems like there are two of each gender. The injured fish is the next to smallest fish in the tank. I haven't changed any of the decor recently. I have a decent amount of plants and one open style cave. Here is the link to a picture of the tank:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/Tiamet2b/10gallontank.jpg

Sorry about the algae on the glass... my scraper broke.

I didn't know that tetra were such fin nippers. This is the first time I've seen them hurt eachother.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 02:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
chelaine
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 343
Votes: 78
female usa
sometimes if you move tank decor around it can break up any territorial issues with fish. you might try that.

*Chelle*
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 06:01Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Bleeder
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 50
male singapore
Changes to decor could be one reason. To add on : It can be difficult, but ensure that your fish food is distributed evenly amongst your fishes. If one fish is getting insufficient food constantly, he may end up being the victim of 'bullying' from his mates. Btw, fin nipping is quite a norm with tetras. Especially when their territorial instincts are heightened.

Bleeder's Forum
http://silentlucidity.s10.forumsplace.com
Post InfoPosted 05-Aug-2006 19:24Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies