SubscribeInstant Betta Death
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I am curious if anyone has ever had this experience...

We recently got a new male Betta, been about 4 weeks ago, beautiful fish...

I was feeing him this evening,h e ate as normal, very active as normal...

I feed small Betta pelletsas always, never any problems... Awhile after I fed him, i noticed him racing around the tank, sinking to the bottom, then racing around, spending more time sinking, facing into the corner... very odd. I noticed that it looked like he had a pellet in his mouth. Thena fter a bit of this, he began to calm, sink more, but still swim and dart here and there, and the pellet had disappeared. I go back to what I am doing and the next tjhing I realize, he's dead on the bottom of the tank, head arched up, dead as a stone.

Has anyone ever had this experience? Did he suffocate or something?

temp 80 degrees, amm/nitrites 0PPM nitrates 20 PPM, pH 8.2, 16 hardness... crystal clean 10g tank

I am so bummed, one minute he's fine, the next he's gone. No cottony tufts, no red gills, no signs of anything.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2009 04:50Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Scott

that it looked like he had a pellet in his mouth.

This might have caused his sudden death he might have swolled mote than one at a time.

The other option it could have been a heart attack.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2009 07:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
I've had this happen to two of my Bettas, only I didn't notice anything in their mouths. They start racing all of sudden, then within minutes they are dead. No symptoms of disease, no warnings, just racing then death. Are these signs of a heart attack?
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2009 08:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies