AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# The Hospital
  L# Is it stressful on other fish when I fish dies?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeIs it stressful on other fish when I fish dies?
reneeandpauly1
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 14
Votes: 4
female usa
Hi there,
I was just wondering.. is it stressful on the other fish when a fish dies in the aquarium? I had a fish die last night, and as soon as I noticed it, I very quickly got him out of the tank..I just didn't know if there are any effects on the other fish when this happens?
Post InfoPosted 21-May-2006 09:57Profile PM Edit Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
It is stressful if the other fish are affected by whatever killed the victim, or if the dead fish affects water quality. Another stress point is the net or hand going into the tank to remove the dead fish. One last hitch is that many species form associations or travel in groups, and the loss of a fish affects this. Even just one fish dying can upset an aquarium in quite a few different ways, and even set off a chain reaction. Be sure to keep an eye out for any problems with your other critters.

Do you know what killed your fish last night?

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 21-May-2006 15:36Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
reneeandpauly1
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 14
female usa
Yeah.. I'm in I think the midddle of the cycling process and it was a neon tetra..he looked so weak and I knew he wouldn't make it much longer..the other fish are acting pretty active still (swimming around, eating when fed) so I don't know if that means that its okay. However, the one that passed away, the other one that were identical to the other fish thath died is still alive..so I hope that he don't feel lonely..but I've heard that tetras go well together anyhow.. I will get a school of the same type after this tank finishes cycling so I hope that will help!
Post InfoPosted 21-May-2006 22:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 192
female usa
In the case of an established couple (i.e. angelfish pairs) I think it is stressful on the partner. I am losing one right now (and did in the same manner once before about 3 years ago) and the female (the healthy one) seems "upset". She lingers by the sick male's side. When this happened to me before (and it is a mystery illness that I am trying to figure out what it is and how to cure it) and the one passed away, the remaining fish was very "sad" or "down". I immediately bought a new partner and they paired right up. It is quite obvious to me that there is an attachment between tank mates.
Post InfoPosted 21-May-2006 23:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LMuha
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1144
Votes: 183
female usa
Putting aside the issues of water quality and mated pairs, I'm guessing that most of the fish in my tanks have only one thought when a tankmate dies:

"DINNER!!!!"

Post InfoPosted 29-May-2006 13:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies