SubscribeLost a Black Ruby Barb overnight
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
EditedEdited 01-Oct-2009 19:30
I went to do my regular water change today of my 55 gal. with the plans of squeezing my filter sponges. I siphoned out 3 gallons, and decided it would be easier with the lid off. Took the lid off and discovered one ballooned up barb. It must have died last night after dinner. I think it was bloat. I had noticed one of the girls getting really big and gave them some squashed peas with their usual flakes. I guess I didn't give it to her soon enough?
PH 6
NitrIte 0
Ammonia 0
NitrAte 5
edit
After netting the barb out, I went ahead and did a 50% water change, scrapped all 4 sides, and squeezed the sponges. (added a capful of Stability 20 minutes later directly to filter)

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2009 19:27Profile PM Edit Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
I feed the both tanks TetraMin tropical flakes twice a day as a staple. I've always supplemented their diets with frozen bloodworm, frozen krill (they won't eat it unless it's been thawed), and thawed frozen peas. I have now tried the TetraVeggie as a supplement. I'm wondering, should I be giving the TetraVeggie to them more than once or twice a week?

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2009 20:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
With barbs I'd say yes, or thawed peas more often. Especially the day after the heavy protein feeds.

Since you already have tetraveggie I'd say do regular flake mornings the veggie evenings and peas after the frozen feeds.

Sorry you lost one, hopefully it's just that one, keep an eye on them (as I'm sure you are). Your numbers look fine.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2009 22:22Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Just incase you were unaware, when feeding peas to fish,
always "pop" the pea out of its casing and feed the meat
of the pea to fish.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2009 23:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
I do "pop" the pea out of the shell and then mash it between my fingers and thumb. I have had a time or two that a shell or piece of a shell has fallen into the tank. The barbs still manage to eat it before I can get it out of the tank. I've even tried chasing one through the tank with it in it's mouth. Refusing to give it up! I never feed more than 10 peas at a time. (even though everyone in the tank, will try a nibble or two)

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2009 03:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies