L# The Hospital
  L# Maybe a tad overstocked
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMaybe a tad overstocked
cashwellspent

Fingerling
Votes: 20
male usa
80 gal FW, Nitrate & Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0, PH 7.6, Fake plants, Eheim 2217, 1-airstone, run water a tad low for water ripple.

2-angels lg apx 3" body height
1-sm angel
6-blue rams med-lg
10-tetras med
5-funky molly (weobble wobble)
1-cat 3"
1-placostamis *(sdc)
4-rainbows
5-neon sm
3-bleeding hearts
3-glass cats
6-rasbora

* spelling doesn't count

I keep temp 80f

I feed once a day.

I feed frozen: Blood worms, brine, beef heart, flakes once a week. (mix with water so they sink)

great tank to watch, don't want it to crash... would like to keep it like it is.

WC every weekend, 25-30%
well water thru a high end water system, PH is within .2 of tank, a tad soft (just a tad)no chlorine, it is added then removed before it gets to the house.
I am changing the way i clean my tank, I'm going to start cleaning 25% of the gravel every week during water change.

With TLC and me being anal can this tank make it, should I add a second filter? or maybe a 2260 instead of the 2217.
Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2010 19:32Profile PM Edit Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
yep Id say thats a tad overstocked.

The angels will end up eating the neons eventually, and all molly fry.

Another filter really wont solve the overstocking problem.

How long has this tank been set up?? you should be showing nitrates... especially since you have no live plants....Im wondering if this is even cycled????

What kind of test kit are you using?? liquid or strip, or petshop testing it for you????

As for stocking- you have several small groups of fish and not true schools. You and the fish will be happier if you just pick a couple, and fill them out instead of having a bit of this and that.

what kind of pleco and catfish would also help...
Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2010 20:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cashwellspent

Fingerling
male usa
EditedEdited 13-Aug-2010 23:01
Thank you HCA
Tank has been up for 3 1/2 months, API liquid test kit, I also have the LPS check it every time we are there to double check and save my chemicals. (I'm cheap like thatthe one of the LPS I go to uses strips, the other uses liquid, I had a breakout few weeks ago(I dont know what it was) and the LPS gave me some 'Clout' to resolve my issue, I used it for 3 days. I lost 10 fish and the LPS replaced them with new 4 days ago.(it was something caught from their fish) I also did my cleaning just before adding the new fish. (didn't know he was replacing them that day)Should I make the move to live plants to help?
Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2010 23:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
female usa us-illinois
HMMMMM???

1- still need an ID on the species that are not listed, it will help...

2- I do not understand why there arent any nitrAtes in that tank... a cycled tank should show nitrates, an uncycled will show ammonia or nitrite... This puzzles me.

3- Live plants always help- which varieties depend on what kind of lighting you have available.

4-you need to find out WHAT happened to your tank that caused the fish to die. And explain HOW you cleaned the tank.

This site has profiles to help you ID the species of fish that are not identified, along with disease profiles, please check them out.

5- the tank stocking. I know you said that you want to leave it alone, and that you like it as it is. But you could have future problems with that stocking.
a- plecos range in full grown size from 3 inches to 2 feet... and they grow quick. some will tear up a tank, others you'll only see occassionally
b-the cat fish- range anywhere from a 3/4 in cory cat ( schooling) to a monster sized red tail cat that will end up eating everything...
c. THe angels and neons are a bad mix- Dont trust angels will anything smaller than a harlie rasbora... or it will become lunch.
d-if you end up with 1 pair of angels- the third will be harrassed,and all 3 will set up terrioties. 6 blue rams- each pair that forms will want its own territory,as well as those that arent paired. and they will be at odds with the angels for this territory
e-3 of a schooler isnt enough, and will stress them out...leading to disease, ect... 6 is minimum, 8+ is better.

Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2010 23:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cashwellspent

Fingerling
male usa
EditedEdited 14-Aug-2010 00:55
Great info, I have two Coralife 48" duel bulb (total of 4 bulbs) 2- bulbs are 10,000k and 2-bulbs are Actinic blue, T-5 28w.

As for the death, the owner of the store said it was an angel disease, (it got 30-50 of his fish also) but it got fish other than angels. a fish would be fine and 6 hours later dead.. it sucked, water test showed all was normal.

When the plecos gets big I will move it to my other tank, I have four going now.. (I'm addicted) I need to go to fishoholic anonymous.
As for the catfish, it looks like what your fish finder calls a salmon tail, it's silverish blue with black spots... holy cow that thing gets big...
Thank you for helping.
Oh, and reading your posts on cleaning, I'm doing it wrong, I would vacuum all my gravel every two weeks, a 20-30% wc on opposite weeks, then clean my Eheim once every 1-1/2 months, but just 2 of the 4 media parts each time to leave bacteria, I'm going to start doing 25% gravel every week now.
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2010 00:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
http://www.aqadvisor.com/

If you go to this site it will explain in detail all about your tank stock.
Just make sure you fill it all in correctly otherwise you will not get all the correct info.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2010 01:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
female usa us-illinois
well that salmon tail is gonna get huge, and eat EVERYTHING it can fit in its mouth. I suggest taking that one back to your fish shop.

Aquadvisor is a great tool.

Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2010 02:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cashwellspent

Fingerling
male usa
Thank you so much for all of your time, I will do the Aquaviser, that seems like it's going to be a great tool, It looks like I will be adding another tank to move a few of my fish around. TY
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2010 02:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cashwellspent

Fingerling
male usa
Hi HCA, I tested my water today, If i let the test go the full 5 min it does show a low 5.0 Nitrate level. (guess I was a little impatient)It took the full 5 min for it to change from yellow.
I'm going to get some live plants today, do you have a suggestion on what kind I should get?
Thank you again for your time.

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 15-Aug-2010 19:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
EditedEdited 16-Aug-2010 01:29
Low light plants such as java fern and anubias need only 2 wpg or less. Most other plants will need more light, and as you increase the light you need to start supplementing the light with CO2.

Bulbs should be new, they aren't as effective for growing plants after 6months to a year, even if they are still working. Don't forget fluorescent bulbs need to be recycled due to the mercury content, not just thrown in the trash. They should be in the 'daylight' 6700 kelvin range.
Another thing to consider is the substrate. Some plants (like swords) are real heavy root feeders and want a rich yet easy to root in substrate. Too heavy of a gravel will crush the root system. Not enough nutrients in the substrate can tend to cause them to melt. Of course looking at a sword wrong can cause them to melt IME.
Some low light plants tied to driftwood or rock and some vals along the back of the tank to give the aquascape height can be a quick and easy start.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2010 01:11Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies