L# The Hospital
  L# Medication and my Rainbow Shark
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMedication and my Rainbow Shark
SomeGuyWhoKillsPeople
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
I recently had an angel fish with ick that died and a few fish with clamped fins so I decided to medicate my tank with Tetra Life Guard all in one 5 day treatment (ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: 1-chloro-2,2,5,5-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone)<--- Exactly how is written on the box.
Its day 4 now and my dumb didn't realized that my Rainbow Shark is scaleless and the box says not suitable for scaleless fish! He hasn't been acting funny but this morning I noticed he wasn't as active as usual and I'm afraid he will die, If I transfer him to another tank do you think he will be okay or could it be to late for him?
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2013 18:09Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Welcome to Fish Profiles...
I hope that when you realized your error, you did transfer the rainbow shark to another tank with all fresh water. You could be right, it could be too late for it.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2013 19:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SomeGuyWhoKillsPeople
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
Thanks for the welcome! Here's another problem, my other tank has only been set up for 5 days and I don't have the test kits to check the water parameters yet which I should but I don't. I do have a few guppies in there and they are absolutely fine and happy, I use an RO system so my water is filtered quite well, what do you think about transferring my fish over to the new tank?
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2013 19:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Hey guy,
Have you read up on the cycling process ? Using RO water won't help the fact that the new tank isn't cycled and that by adding a heap of fish at once will crash the tank. Unfortunately (or fortunately) guppies are pretty near indestructible and can usually handle the cycling process. Overload the tank however with too many fish and you're just asking for trouble.

Hopefully he's doing ok in the other tank, don't add any more fish, I'd be doing 30-50% water changes on the tank daily just to keep levels down. This will mean the tank won't cycle properly but it will give the fish a better chance. If you have any Cycle or other biostarter, or Ammo-loc (or similar) you can dose that.

Once you have a tank with ich, it's in the water even if you don't see it so its never recommended to remove a fish for treatment. In this case it was unavoidable, just keep a really close eye on everyone, and remember that the ich cycle has a few days where the spots "disappear", when in actuality it's just them dropping off the fish and getting ready to multiply.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2013 01:04Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies