Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMelafix And Bacteria Colonies?
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
i have heard antibiotics destroy bacteria colonies. on the back of the melafix bottle it says it wont harm bacteria colonies?how do i know that it wont, or does it kill the bacteria and this is just a false claim or sales pitch?
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 05:22Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
Most medications that you'll use don't destroy bacterial colonies so much as cause them to stop reproducing. This is why you get a mini-cycle instead of a full cycle, because once the medication is stopped, there is still a small colony ready to go. Some medications will completely obliterate your biofilter, but they are generally the ones used for more serious problems.

I've never had much of an issue with melafix or pimafix in regards to biofilters, and I tend to use both at once and overdose slightly, so if they were going to cause isues I'm pretty sure it would have shown up.

They are not antibiotics like Maracyn and Furan etc, they are more like antiseptics. They work in a different way and, while effective against some things, won't do much good for anything that actually requires an antibiotic.

If your tank is cycled and stable, and if you stick to the dosage recommendations, you should be fine.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 06:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
ok thank you, i was just a bit concerned because my tank is still cloudy after a few days and usually it gets filter out and clear
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 17:00Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
That is not normal

What are you treating and why?
Have they maybe gone off their food?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 17:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
yes actually, my oscar wont eat.it was melafix and pimafix, as well as a bit of salt. but the salt was 2 water changes ago
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 19:39Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
so yaymy oscar ate today.but i noticed a white thing that is attached to his gills.ive never noticed it before but it is on both sides.it looks more ounced on his left side of the body.the thing is i assume it is supposed to be there but i just aint sureit looks cottony but at the same time does not.its not the typicaly cottony growth, i dont know its more of a white peice.sorry.maybe you could clear it up.it looks like it is suppose to be there im just not sure.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 22:02Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies