SubscribeMouth Fungus And Finrot Treament
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
Has anyone had much luck in treating mouth fungus and/or finrot? I have a harlequin rasbora with both conditions (or possibly the same fungus...)

They are in a 10g with a male Betta, a couple Panda Corys and a couple small Skunk Botias.

I decided to dose some fungus meds (API brand) Victoria Green/Acriflavine are the actiev ingredients. I gave a "less than half" dose due to the Botias being in the tank.

Has anyone ever used those particular meds? They turned my tank to a nice bright lime green. I can only assume that's from the victoria green meds, and will pass over time??

That was a startling development lol!

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2009 01:59Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
If it is only one fish it could easily be a secondary infection from a run in with the Betta.

I am a firm believer in using Pimafix as a Anti-fungal and Melafix as a Antibacterial, it also helps in reducing any stress.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2009 04:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
well, the green has faded some... I will dose the rest tomorrow nite, per the instructions (other than dosing less than half due to the botias). If the condition still persists, I may switch over to the Pimafix, with the melafix. I did give the Melafix with the powdered meds.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2009 04:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
It seems that the finrot has spread to my male Betta now (if that's possible). Also, I had put a couple of Skunk Botias in with the male Betta. Well, the larger Skunk Botia started harrassing the male Betta, and it look slike the Male Betta has some wounds on his body, and his fins are looking pretty torn up (might be a combination of the Skunk Botia nipping and finrot?). I had dosed twice with the finrot meds (see above) for the Harlequins that are in there so that course is done. I am now dosing daily with Melafix and Pimafix to hopefully help Jack the Betta heal.

Any thoughts?

The larger Skunk botia is now in a different tank with some more rambunctious tankmates.
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2009 01:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I will still stick with a secondary infection caused by the Botias. I would remove all the Botias from that tank.
If the secondary infections continues you might have to consider using a stronger product or catching the Betta and apply a diluted Pimafix solution directly to the fins with a cotton bud.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2009 03:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
I am leaning with you Keith... The Betta jsut looks battle scarred and tattered, and it was a disticnt, nearly instant change in his fins.

I will continue to dose the Pima/Melafix and watch him closely...

thanks!
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2009 05:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
try removing the botia as if they are harassing him still it can only get worse. maybe they would do better in the 55g or the 20g as those fish could probably ward them off better. that small of a tank really shouldn't have that many fish IMO either. treat the betta and harlies, up the harlie school and let it be... maybe get a "killer snail" if the botia are used for snail patrol and then you should be ok.

is it possible the fin rot is not real and the botias are just a bit nippy?

keep dosing and IMO take the botias out as even if they arent causing the problem if they catch the finrot/fungus theya re harder to treat.

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2009 22:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
already took the Botias out... just treating with Melafix and watching closely.

Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2009 02:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies