SubscribeNeon Tetra losing color
reneeandpauly1
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 14
Votes: 4
female usa
Hello there!
Its been awhile since I've been on, but my tank has cycled and my fish have been doing fine for a few months now.. however, I have noticed today that one of my neon tetras isn't a bright color anymore but instead more of a faded color.. could there be anything wrong?
Post InfoPosted 11-Oct-2006 23:04Profile PM Edit Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 197
Votes: 90
male usa
either it is sick or it is sleeping, what time of day did you see this? In the evening until early morning mine are a very faded color. Many fish change color a little bit when they sleep.

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2006 00:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reneeandpauly1
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 14
Votes: 4
female usa
Yeah it was just a few hours ago a little after I turned the lamp on.. maybe that was the problem? All my other fish seem fine, and they have been in my tank for about 3 months, so I don't think like that would be the problem.

I didn't realize fish sleep.. well I kinda figured they do, but how? Do all fish change color or only some?
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2006 01:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california
EditedEdited by Natalie

Anytime someone mentions Neons with faded color, the possibility of Neon Tetra Disease must be considered (EDIT: link isn't working, see below).

Fish do sleep and often their colors fade, but it is only the pigments that fade and not the guanine crystals under the skin (which is what causes shininess/iridescence). If the blue stripe (which is made of guanine) is faded, then it is probably due to illness.

http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#NTD

EDIT again: Whatever, just go here and scroll down to the part about Neon Tetra Disease.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2006 03:16Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I also thought of Neon Tetra disease as soon as I read it. It used to be very difficult to treat but today if caught early enough it can be treated. Another reason to buy Cardinals as they are a stronger fish and do not seem e to that disease.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2006 08:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 212
Votes: 17
male uk
so of my neons fade but only for like 10 mins at the most. Is it the blue which is most faded or the red or both?
also wat are u feeding them?
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2006 21:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies