Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeParasite?
Ethan14
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 339
Votes: 18
male usa
Hey I've been feeding some of my reluctant fish mosquito larvae from a bucket of water outside over the past few days. Suddenly I've had 3 deaths in two different tanks. I've lost a kribensis, and emperor tetra, and a Geophagus Jurupari. I just tested the water parameters and everything is fine. Is it possible I have introduced a parasite or a disease through the mosquito larvae?
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2007 20:50Profile PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Actually yes, there could be a parasite problem , possibly even a two-layered one.Wild Chronomid midge larvae (bloodworm) and mosquito larvae often suffer from infections of mermithid nematodes, a kind of parasitic roundworm that can be passed to fish, and the parasitic worms themselves may play host to smaller trematoda, and flagellate and ciliate protozoans.

Basically treat for the roundworm which they will almost certainly have with treatments like sterazin etc,and a follow up treatment like metronidazole to kill protozoans, or choose the all in one solution, jungle labs antiparasite formula, which will nail protozoa at the same time.

Perhaps go with frozen gamma irradiated bloodworm, glassworm, or blackworm from now on too. Almost zero parasite risk.

I should also mention that the mosquito larvae your getting might be from a tainted water source, and seeing as the deaths have been so quick, its also very possible that either the water that gets dropped in with the larvae has a toxin in it , or the larvae themselves are a concentrated source of the toxin, since they may have accrued some toxins from where they were living.
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2007 03:49Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies