Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeShaking mollies
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
What would make some of my mollies be pretty much swimming in place with there fin's clamped? I have six total in the tank with an assortment of other fish. But only three of them are doing it. The tank just got a water change a couple days ago. Tests come out with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 20 nitrate, which is how the tank is normally. Everybody else acts fine. I added some salt to the water today and turned the temp up to 80 degrees to see if that helps. Only problem is I don't know what would be causing it.
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2009 09:44Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
What is you pH at? I found when I was working at the shop that the molly tanks needed to be 7.2 or above for them to be happiest.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2009 12:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Lindy is on the right track. Shimmy is a symptom that a
fish, generally live-bearers, and mostly mollies present
when the water is lacking in electrolytes that the fish
needs.

Look up "Shimmy" on the Internet for what will turn out
to be dozens of sites and explanations of the "disease."

http://www.ibmring.com/guppy/remedychart.htm

SHAKES AND SHIMMIES Fish wags and shakes while standing still. Water lacks electrobytes. Use MOLLYBRIGHT or SHIMMY BLOCKS. This is not a disease but a warning something is lacking in the water used. MOLLYBRIGHT and SHIMMY BLOCKS supply the needed electrobytes.

It seems that the electrolytes that the fish needs can be
obtained by the addition of marine or aquarium salt to the
water, or through water conditioners such as those mentioned
in the quote above.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2009 18:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Frank it comes down to like we had to do years ago add aquarium salt for some livebearers especially Mollies though in those days a lot were wild caught.

Gourami
What else is in the tank? Reason for asking could these additives have any effect on other fish or plants in the tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2009 02:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
EditedEdited by gourami
All the plants are fake now. There is swodtails, platys, danios, neon tetras, cardinal tetras, a gold gourami, a BN plec, African dwarf frogs, Mollys, 1 small angelfish. Its a 55 gallon tank BTW. I put 1 teaspoonfull for every 5 gallons, but i did over a two day span.
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2009 09:14Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
If there is something missing from your water supply naturally. You might have to replace it at every water change. By that I mean only to the new water to be added
If it is town water check with your LFS/s and see what they are doing to combat this problem.

I also would keep a eye on all fish in the tank.
Do regular water testings and keep a record and any additives you use to correct any problems.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2009 10:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies