SubscribeShes Just Not Herself
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
hey guys.i noticed today that my female green terror is acting weird,shes just not herself.normally she is the boss of the tank and today she is not worrying about keeping everyone in check,its like she couldnt be bothered!
she is also swimming kind of funny,she normally swims with a nice smooth motion,and now she is swimming sort of jerky if you catch my drift.
she is normally real active too,but she just wants to sit around untill she gets shoed away!
i also noticed that her caudal fin has some damage,like its been nipped at or bitten.i THINK that mite be 2 tiger barbs feeders that never got eaten,normally they woundnt dare go near her,but as she is weakened i think they may have moved in for a nip.
now the only thing that has changed on this tank,has been a few temp rises over the last couple of weeks,and yesterday i done a %40 waterchange,and a real good vacume!
i did add some bio booster(stress zyhme),however i ran out using the last of it,so i didnt have enuff.
could this have caused this behavour.ill post test results as soon as i can get them done!
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2009 07:03Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have never used Bio Booster. The only one I use now is Seachem Stability and you can even double dose that for several times before you follow the recommended dosages.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2009 07:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
ok ive done the tests!
ph was 6.8,i added some ph up,and brought that back to 7.0.
ammonia is 0.0
nitrites are 0.0
nitrates are 40ppm.
ran out of kh test kit,and havent replaced it!
now to me the nitrates are high,but in the test kit booklet,it says that 40ppm or lower is ok.
but normally i like it around 10 -15ppm.
i had this problem b4,and it took me ages to get them back down,now they have spiked again.
ever since ive moved into this house i cant seem to get my water parameters to stablize.
my 89 gallon isnt too bad,but the 55gal,the ph falls constantly and my nitrates just wont go below 40ppm.
now my waterchanges are weekly,i only feed once a day.i always make sure my water is clean,my tank is well vacumed,my filters are cleaned out aswell.
im starting to think this mite be what is wrong with my female green terror.
im just at a loss,i cant think of what im doing wrong,but its obvoiusly something since ive moved i think.
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2009 10:22Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Have you tested the water supply? Also have you any live plants I can send you up some floating water sprite "Indian Fern" This always helps.

I would be thinking of double dosing with Stability. There are some very nasty nasties in our water supply at the moment with the water levels low.
Try this store your water for one week BUT take it directly from the hot water service. If it is what I am thinking of this hot treatment kills the stinkers.

I have had it several times it actually kills the live bacteria in the filter and the tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2009 11:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
what is IT? the stinkers?
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2009 11:54Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
It is a live single cell bacteria that is in our water and as the water levels get lower in the dams etc this is exposed and decides to multiply, it then gets into our water supply (one reason why I take my water from the HW supply and I only drink boiled water. "Apparently" this kills it.

When this stinker gets into your tank it kills all the good bacteria and the problems start.

I received all this info from a water chemist at the water board.
It is not in all supplies but it sure is in ours.
That is the reason I use stability at every water change and double dose when I do the monthly filter cleaning.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2009 02:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
ah ok no probs thanx keith!
she seems a bit better today.
shes had some worms,so thats a good sign.
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2009 04:25Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
ok after doing a intense amonut of reading,when it comes to nitrates,i red on 4 different sites,that most pro fish keepers,experts,veterans,keep them at around 20ppm,and they should never exceed 50ppm,and mine have peeked at 40ppm.
so thats rite on the line.
once again im at a loss.
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2009 08:07Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
well dude i say krrp trying to get ur water pams right see if that helps at least u dont keep rays and have that happen.
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2009 01:31Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
yeah its rather annoyingi think its something small,but whateva it is,its got me stumped
Post InfoPosted 10-Feb-2009 08:55Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies