Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSick Discus
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
For quite some time now, my grandfather has told me that hes been having problems with what he believed was "discus aggression". He explained to me that all of the 5 discus' fins were torn, although he's never seen any acts of aggression. He also said that hes already treated for fungal, bacterial, and parasitic infections, so i didnt think much of the problem. I did ask him to e-mail me some pics just in case, although he never did, so i assumed he had it under control.

Well, i arrived at his house on vacation yesterday, and the discus are worse than i had imagined, and what i saw didn't come from nipping, as he had thought. Their fins look as if theyve rotted away, and most of the fish show clear signs of HITH.

He said that he has tried everything, treating them for fin rot and HITH, but the disease just seems to persist. Both of us are perplexed. the water is pristine, and the only tankmate is one bleeding heart tetra (last survivor of its original school.)

I dont know the exact parameters, but here's some info on the tank:
-60 gal tall
-30% water changes weekly, using gravel vac
-moderately planted
-R/O water only, treated with Kent R/O Right and Tetra Blackwater Extract
-well filtered

Oh, and today, I went out with him to buy some Jungle Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food, and we will begin feeding it to the discus tonight.

So, can anyone shed some light on this tough situation?
Any ideas/suggestions/past experiences would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Post InfoPosted 14-Oct-2008 23:44Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Sounds like they could have been burnt away by something in the water.
I would take 2 good water samples one each from the tank and the water supply to a good LFS. Then post the full water parameters.

If the Discus is showing signs of any form of stress I would treat the tank with Melafix if there is signs of any fungal or secondary infections I would also use Pimafix.
These are compatible with each other and most medications.

Regardless of the medication you buy check the "Use By Date" my LFS is selling V old stock and telling people it is still OK to use

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2008 05:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by TW
Hi, this is a link to a "sticky" in a discus forum on HIH. Not sure if you will have to register to gain access to the thread. They have some other helpful med stickys for discus as well. http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17130

Ignore the part about needing to see a vet - that's for Australia. Metro is prescription only here, so we must see a vet. I think you can just walk in & buy it off the shelf.

Be sure you are dealing with HIH. I am no expert, but the symptoms don't necessarily sound right. As far as I know, one of the key symptoms of HIH is white jelly poo.

Good luck

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2008 18:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies