art-fish
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 12
Votes: 0
female usa
EditedEdited by art-fish
I need major help!
A few days ago I went to my favorite petstore and bought a few fish. 3 of those fish were lyretail mollies. So perty! Any way the lady who helped me picked out 2 females and 1 male.
The next day it looked like they were doing this weird shivery dance thing and I was like wow they're going to breed and as I sat down to watch them go a courtin' I noticed that one of the girls was actually a boy. So I was like Oh No!
I realised I had to take him back, but it was too late in the evening to really do anything so I let them be. BIG MISTAKE!
The next day the immature male is dead. So I removed him and I checked the other male over real good. The tips of his tail were broken and frayed but not too serious. He was a little sluggish but I thought I would be too if I got in a fight.
Well today(THE NEXT DAY) I got up to go check on them and he's not swimming right. It's like the right side of him is paralyzed and he has this big red spot(looks like a bruise to me) behind his gill on the right. He's not really breathing alot. Swims only till he finds a place to rest
I've had fish for years and I'v never seen anything like it.
Please help.

This is the info on the tank:
Reg 20 gal with 20 gal. Aqua Clear filter
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrate: NA
Nitrite: 0 ppm
pH: 7.0
Temp: room

Fish:
Diamond tetra; 3 (just got 2)
Bleedin Heart; 3
Mosquito Fish; 4
Lyretail Mollies; (just got 3 one dead, one sick)
Clown Loach; 1 2in long

Owner of 20g with 7 diamond tetras, 1 mosquito eater,& 1 lyretail molly.
Post InfoPosted 01-Dec-2007 20:20Profile PM Edit Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
I would try some melafix and pimafix to ward off the opportunistic diseases and fungi, etc. If it does get bad, depending on what the condition is, i would treat it with the corresponding medication.

It sounds like they were fighting a horrible duel! I think that it might recover with melafix, but it will take time, and it might help to put him into a hospital tank, if you have one!

Sorry i cant help anymore! Good luck!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 01-Dec-2007 22:50Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Sounds to me like theyve picked up pseudomonas or aeromonas from asian fish on the same system, go with an oxytetracycline or furan med in QT . Dont think melafix and pima will have the slightest impact on this.
Post InfoPosted 02-Dec-2007 03:58Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
art-fish
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 12
Votes: 0
female usa
I switched him over to a hospital tank. He didn't last long He was probably on his last leg when I switched him.
All of my other fish are doing fine though. No signs of illness.

Owner of 20g with 7 diamond tetras, 1 mosquito eater,& 1 lyretail molly.
Post InfoPosted 02-Dec-2007 21:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Is pseodomonas or aewromonas contagious to other fish? I have a fish with a bruise like thing on his lip, and i dont want others to get it.

I just thought it was a cut or a bruise, and Melafix would keep out mild bacterial infections, and pimafix for mild fungal. Sorry!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 03-Dec-2007 01:53Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Yes, they are contagious, but resistance to it varies enormously. Many bettas and goldfish for example have it all their lives and barely get sick, others die quickly, fish like dojo loaches are martyrs to it.

Asian, african and american fish all have varying resistances to bacterial strains, but they are most vulnerable to diseases they have do not have multigenerational exposure to.

In ye olde days of fishkeeping , good keepers used to keep fish from different geographical areas segregated because of this, now, thanks to big shop systems with UV , such boundaries are transgressed all the time, and since UV makes no difference to disease transmission when fish are practicing coprophagy (eating poo) the home keeper has already had the decision to mix fish from different locales inflicted on them, and have no choice in the matter.

Its one of the reasons that despite improvements in fish medicine, diseases are if anything even more prevalent than at any time before. Segregation was the lifesaver.

Post InfoPosted 03-Dec-2007 09:09Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies