Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSick fish and not sure what is wrong
Tracie-Maree(NZ)
Fingerling
Kudos: 4
Votes: 5
female newzealand
Hi All,

Here is a run down on my tank. I have a 150L tank. In it are 2x goldfish roughly 2cms-3cms in length and 6x cold water mountain minnows about 1cm in length.

I have had my tank up and running for atleast 6 months now and everything seems to be going well.

Ammonia is normal with no sign showing
Nitrate/Nitrite normal
Ph normal range

Right now you have all the tank details here is my sick fish problem.

Over the last few days I have noticed my orange fish being very protective of my internal filter. I scopped it up in a net put it at the other end of the tank and sure enough it came straight back. As well as being very protective of the filter it seems to be hanging out around the bottom quite a bit of the time.

Its not lying sideways or anything just sitting at the bottom. It gets up and swims around still every now and then and still comes up to eat when its feeding time.

His top fin seems to be down and isnt out like the other goldfish. If i look really closely it looks as if he is missing a few bits off this fin..

I turned off my filter for an hour and watched him for a bit and he seems to be swimming around more and not sitting on the bottom as much..

Any ideas? I have put melafix in my tank for the last few days just incase it some disease.

Any help much appreciated!! Dont want to lose my fishy

Tracie-Maree
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 08:43Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
TracieM

Who told you to turn the filter off?
To start off with that was a huge mistake at the moment your tank could easily be going through a mini cycle reason being the good bacteria in your filter media must have a good supply of water running through it at all times.
To get that up and running to correct efficiency will mean you will have to boost the bacteria up very quickly.
Get some Seachem Stability and dose as directed and do a 30% water change every 3-4 days, reduce the feeding it will not hurt the fish at all in fact it could improve them by boosting up the good bacteria.

He could be staying close to the filter for a bit of protection from the other fish. Do you have any live plants if not I suggest you get some this will improve the condition of the tank as well.
How and what did you use to do the water test?
I suggest you take a goood water sample to your LFS and get a full water test done and post all the results dont take its OK get the actual figures.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 09:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Tracie-Maree(NZ)
Fingerling
Kudos: 4
Votes: 5
female newzealand
The LFS told me to turn it off to see if he moved away from the filter or still stayed in the same place.

I have put some cycle in the tank to give a bit more bacteria.

I tested the tank myself with a master Test kit the readings are as follows:

Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Ph: 7.6 (apparently this is a good PH for goldsifh)
Ammonia:0ppm

I have done a 25% water change every 3rd day so far in my tank.

No there is currently no live plants in the tank they looked a bit sad and manky so threw them away over a week ago and havent had a chance to get anymore.

The only antibiotic in my tank at present is Melafix.. Thought they may help him but it hasnt...

Help

Tracie-Maree
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 09:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MarkA21
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
male uk
Hi i dont think there is any illness, but thats not certain. It might just make him feel more safe and comfortable under there. I suggest a few big leaved plants and rocks and caves for him to hide in when he gets nervous. hope this will help. please keep me updated
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2009 22:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies