L# Someone Help My Fish!!!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSomeone Help My Fish!!!
thekarateboy96
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
can someone help me i got a gold fish at a carnival and he survived the way home and was fine when i put him in his tank but by the time it was dark he was dead
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2008 22:07Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Could be a couple of things. With death happening so quickly, I'd put my money on either pH shock or temperature shock.

Basically, if you just throw a fish into water that is different from what they're used to, it "shocks" the fish. They can't acclimate fast enough and it will actually kill them. For this reason, it is HIGHLY recommended that you acclimate the fish for at least 20 minutes before putting them in the tank.

To do this, float the bag that has the fish in it in the tank for 10-15 minutes to let the temperatures equalize. Once that's done, cut a slit into the top of the bag and put in a small amount of tank water. Repeat that every 10 minutes or so until the water level in the bag is double what it was at the beginning. That should allow the fish time to get used to the chemistry of the tank water.

Okay, I have a couple of questions for you:

What size is the tank?

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

Overall, how much experience do you have with fish?

The answers to these will let us help you a lot more. We just need to know where to begin.
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2008 22:43Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I think JP has just touched on a few things here.
First you have no idea where the fish came from or how it was treated before you even set eyes on it.
Then comes how you treated when you first received it until you put it into a tank.
If you answer JP's questions it will be a start on guessing what happened to your fish.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2008 08:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
checkerboard
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 14
Votes: 8
canada
chlorine poisoning could be the reason as well if you haven't aged/treated the water.
Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2008 08:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cherrybarb
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 64
Votes: 10
male usa
My guess would be since most "carnival" fish are your traditional feeder fish (comets) which are usually kept in heavily stocked tanks (maximize profit) that the fish was in already badshape when you recieved him, and could have been infected with some kind of disease. The whole situation of being picked up from a petstore, brought to a carnival, and then brought home was probably too much stress on the animal, thus causing its demise
Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2008 18:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies