Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSwollen anus
SheKoi
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 553
Votes: 4
male uk
i've just noticed that my dwarf cockatoo seems to have a swollen anus area, there is also 2/3 red things sticking out of it.

any ideas what this could be?

he is swimming fine, eat fine acting normally.

all water parms fine.

shekoi

www.blooming-brilliant.co.uk
Post InfoPosted 06-Apr-2006 21:09Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Report 
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1462
male usa
EditedEdited by Bob Wesolowski
It sounds like camallanus. Camallanus is an intestinal parasitic infection. This malady is due to a nematode or parasitic worm which is found in wild fresh and salt water fishes throughout the world.

The infestation is characterized by, among other things, the presence of tiny red thread structures protruding from the anus of the infected host fish. Close inspection of the victim shows a swollen and irritated vent area. The worms actually protrude 1/3 to 1/2 inch from the anus of the infected fish. This is about one fourth to one third of the worm's length. The worms are red from the victim's blood in their gut.

The following is a link to an excellent article on the parasite and how to treat the infection.

http://inkmkr.com/Fish/CamallanusTreatment/

Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2006 15:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies