L# The dreaded camallanus
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeThe dreaded camallanus
cichlidaddicted
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 0
Today, i noticed symptoms of camallanus for the first time in my gold ram. Instead of the brown, healthy looking feces he usually has, he had clear, stringy feces as well as a red, needle-like projection from his anus today.

So far, he doesn't seem to be showing any signs of distress, as he is still very colorful, active, and he has a very full belly, being the pig that he is.

So here's where i need your help guys-
Is there any other effective treatment for callamanus aside from prescription livestock dewormers? Particularly something that is plant/snail safe, although i can move my apple snail if need be. Any suggestions/past experiences would be greatly appreciated. I would just absolutely hate losing this guy. There's just something about rams which makes it so that you just can't help but grow really attached to them.

I don't have any parameters for you guys, although the tank, which is a 10 gallon, is fairly new (about 4 months old), and was cycled well before I owned the ram. Its a bit underfiltered, but its well-planted and I carry out 30% water changes either once or twice weekly. The tankmates are 8 harlequin rasbora, one guppy, and one apple snail. The water is a bit on the basic side(7.5), but it isn't particularly hard, and its kept at a temp of about 80F.

On a side note, Im beginning to believe that the Mikrogeophagus genus is especially susceptible to the unforgiving disease, more so than most other fish. In the past, I have lost over 3 bolivian rams to camallanus, although their tankmates remained unaffected. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thank you
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2008 04:16Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Is there any other effective treatment for callamanus aside from prescription livestock dewormers?

Yes, but it'll depend on what you can find locally. I've had success with a bird wormer called Avitrol Plus, but I think that is only available in Australia.

Ideally you want something that contains both levimasole & praziquantel. Standard fish wormers tend to be based on prazi anyway so you might be able to sort something out that way.

Depending on what drugs you use, the worms might die all at once or just start to feel particularly seedy and drop off one by one. Either way, you have dead decaying poisoned worm inside a fish with damaged guts. Be careful about what you feed when you are treating as you want to avoid worsening any constipation, and have some sort of antibiotic treatment available should any infections pop up.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2008 05:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies