Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTwisted Spine
papasan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 34
Votes: 0
male uk uk-england
my soninlaw has a sailfin molly (female) that has a bent/twisted spine, it seems to spend a lot of its time at the top of the tank on its own but is feeding ok,all the other fish are ok, and tests seem to show no high levels any ideas?
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2007 23:07Profile PM Edit Report 
DeletedPosted 11-Nov-2007 00:03
This post has been deleted
Gaia
----------
Fingerling
Kudos: 25
Votes: 30
belgium
Problems caused by a pregnancy maybe? Or she maybe she was born with this problem?
Such problems can also be caused by fish tuberculosis, but if the fish is doing fine don't worry.
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 00:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
This is not uncommon in live bearers. Because of their breeding/raising/development which is possibly not under the best of conditions. It can happen with cheap and not a good quality feeding for both mother and fry.

If there is no other problems I would not worry at all. It is very unlikely that the spine will straighten up. The only thing I would do would place it where there is no males other wise it "could" carry through to the fry.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 00:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Many of my guppies had this, i tried everything to fix them, but they all ended up dead. i dont even think there is a cure, im sorry. I think it can spread because after one of my guppies died from it, another got it then it died. i had 9 guppies, now im down to two. you may want to keep her from other fish. good luck!

What came first? the chicken or the egg? No really.....
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 02:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daeraelle
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 16
Votes: 9
female usa
The only time I ever had that happen was with guppies that just gave birth. It never happened to a male. So, I always assumed it was just some sort of complication. I did have a wonderful ropefish with a great personality that would eat anything from my hand. So they usually went quick. I didn't know if it was uncomfortable for them and I didn't have another tank to put them in that they would be safe from larger fish and wouldn't get pregnant again. I can't imagine pregnancy and birth with what appears to be a broken spine would be comfortable.
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 02:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Here is a similiar problem with possible answer:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Fish-1472/bent-platie.htm

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 09:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Piscine tuberculosis also causes spinal curvature, so as a precaution, don't put your hands in the tank without gloves if you have any kind of open wound. It's the only fish disease I know that's transmissible to humans, and can infect a wound such that it doesn't heal up.

That said, if it's the only fish that's showing that symptom, it's more likely a genetic or nutritional problem than piscine tuberculosis.

><>
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 19:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies