AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# The Hospital
  L# WHat is this on my oscar and how do i treat it?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWHat is this on my oscar and how do i treat it?
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Hey guys,

i have had my oscar for like 2 or 3 months now and when i bought hime he was perfectly healthy(i fact the only one in that tank that didn't have any injuries). After about two weeks of havng him he develped this blister like thing on his lip. i assumed it was a blister from running into the galss (he was in like a 300g tank with two other oscars a CKF and a tinfoild barb before and that is a big change to a 29g with no other occupants). The blist got bigger for a couple weeks and hasn't changed for almost two months now. I just think the blist looks ugly and i want to get rid of it as well as maintain my oscar's (his name is bagira)health. here are a couple picts of what it

looks like:
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd138/brandeenocobbler/HPIM0270-1.jpg
and:
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd138/brandeenocobbler/HPIM0317.jpg

I know the photos are hazy, but these are what his lip looked like a couple weeks ago.

-THANKS A TON
BRANDON

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2007 02:06Profile PM Edit Report 
daeraelle
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 16
Votes: 9
female usa
EditedEdited by daeraelle
An oscar doesn't belong in a 29G. They do better in about a 100G and at LEAST a 55G, he just isn't going to fit, he already looks to have outgrown that size tank a long time ago. He's running into the glass because he doesn't have anywhere else to go. He's probably very stressed and the blister could be an infection or a fungus. Stress lowers the immune system. I can't really see it clearly in the pictures, so I can't help any further. Maybe someone here has had the same problem and can help you.

You could also try this forum.

http://www.oscarfish.com/

If they can't help you with the problem they will be able to tell you about proper housing and care for your oscar that will best benefit him in the long run.
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2007 16:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Twilight
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 76
Votes: 92
female canada
I'd go twice the 100g or more! This guy's likely to get up to 18" and needs to be with friends.

I have to agree that he's stressed out, both from lack of space and from loneliness.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I vote! Do you?
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2007 21:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
I would bet that a tank that small with an oscar in it would have extreme nitrate levels. Get your nitrate and other perameters checked. I bet thats half the problem. Then do lots of water changes to reduce the nitrate, I would do them every second day, until you can get him into a much bigger tank. As the others have said atleast a 55g.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2007 23:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Never having Oscars I could not comment until I did a little research on them. I fully agree with all the other postings it should never be in a tank that small. Who ever told you it would be suitable has no idea of fish keeping if it was an LFS I certainly be looking else where. You have several choices either return him, relocation to a better/larger home or get your self a BIG tank. Remember this will mean a complete upgrade of all the equipment, then go through the cycling process. In the mean time the Oscars problem persists and certainly will get far worse.

Lindy's suggestions are spot on it is going to mean a constant water changes until you get him a new home.
Sorry at being so blunt but I felt this had to be said.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2007 01:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
i9 realize that he has out grown his tank, but the LFS said when i bought him he would be ok(i realize this was a lie). i will eventually upgrade him into my 55g when i have the money to upgrade the filtration. i just really need to know how to treat him! should i just try dosing with melafix and pima fix to start and see how it goes? I asked someone a whil back and they said it looked possibly bacterial. would it be ok to treat with melafix and pimafix at the same time? also someone told me in chat that it might be parasitical and if so how do you treat a parasite?

thanks for the quick feed back!

Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2007 02:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
At a guess I would say it is an injury from bumping into something (possibly tank) several times and has possibly formed a small hard lump or a blister. The fish is also extremely stressed out because of the restricted space and this will certainly not help no matter what you do.

Is there another LFS you can take him to, to get some accurate advice.
If not do as recommended and continually do water changes. You could "try" both Pimafix and Melafix as recommended (it might work) but there could easily be a permanent scar there.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2007 02:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
could i dose both at the same time or separatly?

and are they expensive medicines because as i have only been in the hobby for like 2 years i haven't dealt much with disease.

Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2007 07:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
There is no point treating with medications until you get your water checked out. Take a jar of water to your lfs and ask them to test it. Get them to write the results down for you. Post them here so we can help you more.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2007 09:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
EditedEdited by keithgh
Sorry my message was a bit miss leading. You MUST get the water tested First.

As Lindy stated get all the water paramaters first then think about the treatment.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2007 09:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
alright. i will do that on saturday. i will keep you posted!

Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2007 02:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
today, saturday, i am going to go to walmart (i think) to get some meds and some water conditioner. i made a mistake last time in a hurry and bought EASY BALANCE™ by tetra instead of AQUASAFE™... so i need to go get that and melafix, pimafix, and some methylnblue... (just case). i am going ot be switching my oscar to the 55g and the live bearers to his old abode... i got some advise from poisonwaffle to do a drip acclimation for 45minutes to an hour so that is what i am going to do... and i am going to switch the gravels after a few days... hopfully all goes well. i have a question though can you put aquarium backrounds in the tank, because my tank has a solid black backround, and i feel it is rather ugly... thanks!

Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2007 20:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
i added him to the 55g and he looks much happier. i will go get some conditioner and etc later today. i am also going to doe\se with melafix first beca\use i accidentally nicked his side while in trasport (getting a 9'' oscar to a new tank is quite a task, but i accomplished it!)

also if any feed back on the backround information would be super!

Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2007 22:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
What sort of filtration have you got on the 55g? You will need that tank to stay very clean or you'll end up with problems again. Dont add any other large fish to the tank. 55g is really only suitable for an oscar by itself because they are large waste producers.

You didnt get the water tested? Would of been good to know what the water parameters were so you can keep control of them in the new tank.

Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 01:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
i will get the waer tested at my lfs. i added melafix to help the lip (as well as a nick that happened in tranport). i will get the water tested soon! (or buy a test kit)

Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 04:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Jerrard
----------
Fingerling
Kudos: 19
Votes: 5
male canada
A good rule of thumb when keeping oscars is 55g per fish so a tank with 2 has gotta be 100-110 even 55 is a tad small for them also like to add for oscars be careful of hole-in-head and research it oscars can contract this more then other fish, and with the high stres involved in small tank and recent tank transfer id keep my eyes peeled but dint be to jumpy oscar do have sensor holes in the head so look for some good pics to show HIH.

1-Ancistrus triradiatus 4-Gymnocorymbus ternetzi 2-Danio frankei
2-Danio rerio 2-Danio Starfire 2-Chromobotia macracanthus 2-Erpetoichthys calabaricus 4-Ampullariidae 1-Mastacembelus erythrotaenia
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 08:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies