SubscribeZabra Angelfish on hunger strike
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 101
Votes: 62
male canada
EditedEdited by RickyM
I have two Zebra Angelfish in a 75G BB tank with 8 other Marble / Koi Angels, and 12 Panda Corys.

Both Zebras stopped eating a few weeks ago, everybody else was normal.

This was the water parameter back then:
Temp = 81F
PH = 6.0
Ammonia = 4.0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 6.0
gh = 5, kh = 1

I did a few partial water changes (about 25% each day), over a few days. Added Stress Zyme, and reduce feeding.
Ammonia was back done to almost zero after one week and one of the Zebra started eating again.

But the other one still refuses to eat. It has been at least 4 weeks since he stopped eating.

I moved him to a 10G hospital tank. Did 50% WC after he settled down and gradually raised the tank temp to 87F.
It's already a few days after this WC and temp raise treatment. He's stil not responding. But the strange thing is : he's rather active despite a few weeks of food deplete.

At this point, I don't know what else can I do for him.

Post InfoPosted 01-Dec-2007 19:18Profile PM Edit Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Try some live foods like Live Brineshrimp and Live feeder guppies. These are full of good stuff, and the wriggling and swimming away would entice and attract the Angel to eat it.

Also, try some Entice and Garlic Guard. They are both liquid supplements to make the fish want to eat the food. I dont know who they are made by though...I heard that they were good.

Finnally, maybe the angels got a bit bored in their diet, so a nice variety of feeding would really boost their feeding eagerness! Afterall, Variety is the spice of life!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 01-Dec-2007 21:44Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
male canada
I suspect that it might have some form of internal parasites. I started to treat him with Levamisole HCL today. It usually takes 48 hour to see the effect. Hope it is not too late for this guy.
Post InfoPosted 02-Dec-2007 07:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 02-Dec-2007 08:14
This post has been deleted
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Ouch! Parasites are nasty little creatures! I strongly suggest using a Garlic Guard or Entice to attract the Angel into eating the medicated foods. It might not eat them without it. Also, you could try Garlic. There was just a post on this, and it works to cleanse out the parasite, and attract food too! That way, it does double a job! Its better that going out to buy some Entice for a one time doseage. Also, after you are done with treatment, i suggest you use some live foods to attract it and give it some protien. Or freeze dried is good, but it might not be eaten. And some roughage like cucumber and other veggies will help, and might clear out his system of any remaining parasites.

Best of luck,
~goby

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 02-Dec-2007 08:31Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
male canada
I know. I have great success with Levamisole HCL before - if there's really a parasite problem. In one day, you'll see the worms come out and they'll be all be cleared within 48 hours. But I do not see any changes this time, after 36 hours of the dose.

I'll try to soak some food with Garlic Guard tomorrow.
But I can't imagine a fish can survive starving for so long. It's been almost one month he didn't eat anything
Post InfoPosted 03-Dec-2007 07:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
EditedEdited by DaMossMan
Hi Rick,

Good to see a Canuck with excellent taste in fish
(big fan of angelfish here and anything SA)

The ammonia spike in your tank caused ammonia poisoning, this did direct permanant damage to the internal organs, brain, or nervous system of your fish. It may have an internal hemorrhage somewhere. It's unable to eat because it cannot. This fish may have been weaker in nature then the other fish that suffered minimal damage and luckily recovered. Luckily your ph was low, had your ph been around 7 to 7.5 you may have lost your entire tank.

I certainly hope I am wrong as I'm wishing the best for the recovery of your angel. If a cichlid does not eat for a month there's a serious problem. Right now your fish is slowly starving to death and about 3/4 of the way there.

What caused the ammonia spike ? This would be important to prevent it in the future. This would be something to do with your biological filter, overcrowding in the tank, overfeeding, or excess waste in the gravel which regular vaccing eliminates. Your tank isn't cycling so cross off the bio filter. I'm not sure on the size of your angelfish but adults you'd need a bare min of 10 gallons per fish and that's just a lowest recommended starting point as these are high bioload fish.

When was the last parasite outbreak in your tank ?
Was there visible symptoms then ? Are there now ?
Visible swelling or sinking in the tummy ?
Lumps bumps or worms in the anus area ? Anything different in the gills colorwise ?

A month is a long time not to be eating. I hope it pulls through ok and again I hope I'm wrong since parasites are treatable, but this does not sound good. I hope you have more food for thought at least or things to check for/investigate.

Best of luck mate, I'll check back.

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2007 08:01Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
male canada ca-ontario
Rick just checking back.

How goes it with your angel ?

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2007 23:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
male canada
Hi DaMossMan,

Thank you for asking. But I'm afraid this one has gone too far..

I started to notice that it's having difficulties to close it mouth. This is usually a very bad sign. It's perhaps time to consider putting him out of his misery . But it won't be easy, as it's a sub-adult with 3 inch body.
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2007 07:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
male canada ca-ontario
EditedEdited by DaMossMan
Hi Ricky,

I'm sorry to hear of the outcome of your fish

The Ammonia Assessment notes in my Tetra test kit says.
1.5 = highly toxic if present even for short periods of time..
3 = is fatal for sensitive fish.
5 = fatal for all fish species.

You should still check into what caused the ammonia spike to prevent in the future.

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2007 02:36Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies