L# eel sick, help?
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribeeel sick, help?
barbdarb
Fingerling
Kudos: 26
Votes: 1
male usa
Hi so today i noticed my peacock eel acting very strange. He has always been lethargic and would sit in one spot during the day all day, but today i noticed him laying on his side and upside down. I do not know my water parameters except i know i keep my tank around 78 degrees. All of my other fish in my 30g tank are all healthy so im not sure if it could be stress? I also have not seen him eat ever since i have gotten him (i would bury freeze dried blood worms in gravel) Any help would be great

2 tanks (for now)
1 30 gallon
1 22 gallon
Barb and oddball/predatory fish fan
Post InfoPosted 20-Aug-2013 18:05Profile PM Edit Report 
barbdarb
Fingerling
male usa
unfortunately he passed away ): he was really becoming one of my favorite fish in my tank.

2 tanks (for now)
1 30 gallon
1 22 gallon
Post InfoPosted 21-Aug-2013 04:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi Barb,
I'm sorry that the fish passed, and that no one answered your post.

I've never had one and I'm not familiar with that fish. I can go on the internet and find out quite a bit about one, but I simply did not feel qualified to comment.

For the future, when dealing with a problem such as this, please give us the parameters of your water. Most of our problems with our fish are directly related to the conditions that exist within the tank, and specifically, with the water chemistry. Curent conditions... pH,GH,KH,Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate values are the minimum that should accompany each question. In some cases even the temperature is important.

If nothing else, take a fresh sample to your local aquarium shop and the overwhelming majority will test it for you, for free. Of course, once tested and problem(s) discovered, they do expect you to purchase the remedies from them.

As you gain experience you should have a test kit so that you can test your water yourself. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals International (API) has a kit that is available for sale in just about every fish store or pet shop in the nation. Their "Freshwater Master Test Kit" ought be supplied, free, with every new tank to every new fish keeper. I would urge you to purchase one and then test your water regularly.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2013 22:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
barbdarb
Fingerling
male usa
well thanks for the reply frank (:
I actually went out and had my water tested at a local chain store and they told me everything was "fine" with 0 level of ammonia and nitrates.I purchased a new peacock eel and could tell the signifigant difference between the two. the first one i had was probably just sick to begin with, as it was lethargic, small,never buried itself, and didnt move much at all. this new one is nuts! The lady had to spend at least a good 15 minutes trying to catch it, (i had a good chuckle at her expense, she was "scared" of it) and as soon as i brought it home it submerged itself in the gravel and i actually havnt seen it since. I also brought back some ghost shrimp to feed it. It actually gobbled one up immedietley after i released it out of the bag(: all in all i have high hopes for this new one!

2 tanks (for now)
1 30 gallon
1 22 gallon
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2013 05:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Great to hear! You may have hit the nail on the head suggesting that the first was already ill when purchased. That the new one ate right off the bat is a great sign.
Do keep an eye on the water chemistries in that 30G tank with all those fish, the values could go astray without your noticing.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2013 23:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies