Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribemy Cichlids are dying
ragu_ed
Small Fry
Kudos: 6
Votes: 0
male india
EditedEdited 29-Jan-2010 08:22
ok..I bought these red devils and flowerhorns around 2" in size.Well they were alright for 5 days or so and the RDs got really strssed and white spots startd to appear and they were all dead in few days and the flowerhrn were fine and they also started to die without any scale disorders. my tank is 20gal 5months old so I do not think ammonia is the cause.gouramies and barbs are totally alright which were in th same tank.Now I hve changed the whole ground water and filled it up with well water to aleast save a flwrhrn which is also dying..is this something to do with the Ph?
guys plzz solve my problem...
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2010 07:04Profile PM Edit Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Thats alot of fish for a 20g tank.
A 5 month old tank should not have ammonia problems, but it could, and you wont know unless you test it. Same with pH, we cant tell you its the problem until you test it and give us some results.
Ideally to start with we need
Ammonia,
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH readings.
How often do you feed the tank?
How often do you do water changes?

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2010 10:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
ragu_ed

Advisor

Have a look at Advisor it is only a guide but it is a good guide.

I fully agree with Lindy that tank is over loaded.
Gourami what variety and size are they?

Other than a full water tank parameter I think you should also get your well tested just in case there is a problem there. Get that done at your LFS and do not accept its OK you want a full written report. With your well water I think you will have to check with your local authorities.

You do not mention what type of filter you are using plus how it is cleaned and when it was last cleaned.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2010 00:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ragu_ed
Small Fry
male india
I had 2 blue gouramies of 2" and 2 barbs of same size.I shifted all 4 of them to another tank.And the cichlids were totally 6 of around 2" size so I do not think its overloaded.
I feed 2 times and as for water change I did 2 liters daily for water quality and 25% weekely.The filter is sponge filter.It used to clog up very often so I was cleaning it everytime it gets clogged.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2010 09:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Those fish arent going to stay 2", and those cichlids have a tendancy to be territorial and aggressive. Look up a profile on them.
I really think its your water quality/over stocking in a tank thats not filtered sufficiently. As you havent given us the test results from your tank we cant help much more than we have. If you dont have the test kits take a water sample to a fish shop and ask them.
Ammonia & nitrite should be 0
Nitrate below 10
pH 7 - 7.2

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2010 22:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
ragu ed

I am still learning myself and I have only had about 45 years experience with fish tanks including FW & SW.

You are over loaded no matter what you are saying.

I feed 2 times
This is over feeding as well.

I did 2 liters daily for water quality and 25% weekely

If you are not have problems why are you doing this?
You should be doing a 30% twice a week, in your situation.

It used to clog up very often so I was cleaning it everytime it gets clogged.

This is a sure sign of pollution and a poor filter.
Saying it is a sponge filter is not enough information sorry.
My HOB is a sponge filter but it is for a 60 lt tank and my tank is only 45Lt. Plus I do two 15Lt water changes every week. Cardinal tetras & CRS.

Have you had your water tested as I recommended?
Using well water can be a huge problem for humans, animals, and fish life if it becomes polluted. The pollution could easily happen many miles away.

Also have you had your tank water tested by the LFS yet?

It is very difficult to help you unless we have a far more detailed information about your tank.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2010 06:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ragu_ed
Small Fry
male india
ok..Water testing is very hard here so I will purchase a kit soon.
I purchased RDs from my friend who had bred them himself. There were 50-60 fries in 20-25gal tank with only an air pump and a 2" sponge attached to the output pipe.The tank was so polluted it was hard to see the fishes. But the fries were very healthy and active. When I asked him about the ammonia and nit\nitr he said that it won't affect them much.
Now Im gonna purchase again.This 20gal tank is temporary one.So how many fries can i keep.I have shifted the gouramies n brbs to another tank
I will give u the test results soon. Thnk you...
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2010 08:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
When I asked him about the ammonia and nit\nitr he said that it won't affect them much.

It is very obvious that person knows exactly nothing about fish keeping.

You still have not told us about your filter brand name type and size please.I would not even put one fry in any tank until it is safe to do so and it is obvious you tank is a ling way from that.

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2010 00:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ragu_ed
Small Fry
male india
filter is corner filter of 200ltr\min output
I got the test results
Ammonia n nitr is 0
nitrate 15
Ph 7.8
I think I found out the cause..I had used some of the gravel to cultivate blood worms and put the gravel back without treating it with anti bact or parasites..
May be this is the cause??
--------------------
sorry fish lovers ..this won't happen again
and never mind the grammer..
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2010 07:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*

Lindy gave you these recommended results.
Ammonia & nitrite should be 0
Nitrate below 10
pH 7 - 7.2

filter is corner filter of 200ltr\min output

Sorry that just tells us the output not the actual size.
To clear things up I suggest a good photo will help.
Is it air controlled or by a impeller pump?

Ammonia n nitr is 0
nitrate 15
Ph 7.8

As you can see the Nitrate is a long way out.
the PH also requires adjusting

That is a possibility.
That does not solve the problem of over loading and very possible a filter that is not suitable for your tank.
If possible try to locate a quality live bacteria such as Sea-Chem Stability it is certainly the best. There are plenty of cheap copies around and that is all they are.
Your filter how do you clean it, and how often, when did you do the last filter replacement and how did you do that.

I know these questions might seem silly to you but every step must be done correctly other wise you will continue to have problems.

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2010 08:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies