L# parasites mabey??
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribeparasites mabey??
dudehi
Fingerling
Kudos: 20
Votes: 2
male usa us-florida
okay so i have 2 prety big angelfish. these were my first fish ever had 2 females. my white female has had 3 hatches of eggs this year, without male no babey angels but still laid eggs. well their all alone in a 15 gallon tank, so i went out and bought 2 new small angelfish. im thinking those two brought in the parasites. i didnt notice them untill about a couple days after when both babey angels were dead. they look like a smaller version of swimming knats. every day i take my net and scrap them off the walls which seems to be working. my white ones fins are getting slowly shorter. ive tried parasite medicine and seemed to help slightly but not enough to kill. any adive or anything i should do?
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2009 05:59Profile PM Edit Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
What are your water perameters? A 15gal tank is also to small for Angelfish in my opinion which might be part of the problem. Pics would also help.
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2009 09:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dudehi
Fingerling
Kudos: 20
Votes: 2
male usa us-florida
15g for 2 angelfish is fine. they both have plenty of room and i was going to add 2 more. and what do you mean by water perameters??
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2009 15:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
Angelfish can grow to 6 inches, I can't remember if that was length or hight. You might want to do some research on them. Water parameters are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and Ph levels of the tank water. There is an article in the next forum on starting a new tank. Might want to give it a read it has some good info.
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2009 03:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Hmmm, are they actually attaching to the angelfish or not? Could be fish lice if they are.

If they are not attached to the fish, than they might not actually be dangerous. Nevertheless, if you want to get rid of them, the best way would be to give the tank a good cleaning, including giving the gravel a deep siphoning and cleaning out the filter. If you want to be absolutely sure that you get rid of them, tearing down the tank and cleaning everything would be the best bet.

What ingredients are on the parasite med, and what is the med actually used to treat? For example, my Ich medication doesn't say anything about fish lice (unless I'm mistaken, I'm not actually looking at it now). The parasite meds may be inadequate or irrelevant for treating this.

Finally, I have a hard time believing that a 15 gallon is adequate for adult angelfish, however since they have apparently bred it's harder to argue this case.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2009 01:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies