L# The Hospital
  L# two dead one acting funny...
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribetwo dead one acting funny...
cashwellspent

Fingerling
Votes: 20
male usa
I have an 80gal with a Eheim 159 rated canister filter, I'm at half capacity on my tank. I keep the temp at 80f, one large air stone and return from pump at the top of the tank to keep the water moving, I always trickle my new fish.
I got a beautiful yellow angle and two blue rams from a lps, The rams died within two days and the angle wouldn't eat. (not even blood worms) I returned them to the lps ( I was there when he opened his door)and when i went to the angle tank his were all dead, so wasn't the tank with the blue rams, (he was a little red faced)in all he had about 50 dead fish...
So... Now I'm freaking out thinking I just brought something nasty into my tank...
What should I do?
I did raise my temp to 83f, I will go to 85f tomorrow...
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2010 21:52Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited 30-Jul-2010 14:36
Hi,
Wow! What a mess...
You have not told us a whole lot about the problem, just
the result. We don't have any water parameters (pH GH KH,
Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, etc.) You mention that you are
about at half capacity, which I assume means quantity of
fish, but say nothing about how the other fish are doing.

You mention that you are raising the tank temperature,
which is just one step in treating an outbreak of Ich,
but "we" don't know if that is the problem, and if not,
you could be "cooking" your fish and plants needlessly.

If it is a parasite such as Ich, you should be treating
the whole tank for that, and proceed with the treatment
for the time recommended on the instructions that come
with the medication. It does not sound like you have a
small, spare tank, that you can put your new fish in for
a month before transferring them to the main tank. Treating
for a disease in an 80 gallon tank, is far more expensive
than treating for the same disease in a 10, 15, or 20 gallon
tank.

A UV filter, running 24/7, on the main tank, might
also be a wise investment for the future.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2010 14:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cashwellspent

Fingerling
male usa
Thank you Frank, Ok, first the PH, GH, KH, Ammonia and Nitrates are all good, My other fish are doing well, ate well today, I took my water to a friend that has a very high dollar test kit and he got the same results as I did, (with my cheapie) He told me to just keep a careful eye on the fish.
I have been just trickling my new fish and dropping them in for years, I got ich four months ago and swore then I was going to set up a quarantine tank, well in my laziness and wanting to see my new fish swim I just risked my whole tank again...
I'm going to set up a 10 gallon on Monday and let it cycle and stop playing Russian roulette with every new fish.
Also, I will get a UV, do you have a suggestion for a good one?
Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2010 20:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
In addition to setting up that quarantine tank I'd also strike that shop off your list. I know that at times fish store availability can be limited, but it is really important not to buy from shops that can't even keep their fish healthy. Buying from stores that sell ill fish, or fish from tanks where there are dead ones floating (I've seen this happen! "I'll stir them up to make sure they're all healthy" I overheard one employee say) simply endorses them and their bad practices continue.

Like frank mentioned, just raising the temp is not good enough for treating for ich. Make sure you're using meds, and as an added precaution be sure to dose with cycle after medicating to make sure your biofilter is fully functional. We recently had a run of not such good luck in our tanks finishing off with a round of ich for everyone (first time in yeaaaarrrsss) then had trouble getting the tank to restabilize after treatment till I managed to get my hands on a bottle of cycle. The culprit in our situation, not using a qtine tank even though we had one available, and purchasing from a not so reputable shop. It happens to the best of us, which is why precaution is the best preventative.
And yes, that shop is now off our list even though they're the cheapest by far, and we have a qtine set up.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2010 00:41Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
cashwellspent

Fingerling
male usa
Thank you Bablefish, That store is off my list, I'm in Orlando Fl, There are thirty stores within 20 miles of me, it was my first time there, we were coming from another lfs when we pasted this one, just stopped to look. I should have just kept driving, it was a beautiful yellow angel, it had black around its left eye (like the dog from the little rascals) my wife loved it.
You guys have been allot of help, I have been reading a few other posts and remedies, this is a great site and I know I will learn from you, thank you. Joe
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2010 17:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
It's always worse when they've got unique markings where you can tell the difference between them .

With that many shops you can definitely decide who gets your money. Might even be worth it to post a review of the store online, I know I tend to check if there's a google review of restaurants ect.

Always scope out the tanks in a shop, if it looks like they have a lot of not well cared for fish, or if they don't bother to mark NFS (not for sale) on tanks that are being treated for ich, don't buy from there, even if the tank you're looking at looks ok. Many of the shops will share a central filtration and what is in one tank ends up in all.

If that's the only shop that has the specific fish you're looking for, ask at another shop that you like better if they're able to do a special order.

Any improvements with your tank?

^_^

Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2010 21:55Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
cashwellspent

Fingerling
male usa
Hi babelfish, Death toll as of now. 4-neons, 2-blue rams, 2-dwarf gromie, 1-bleeding heart, 1-very lg Angel (mine not theirs)
I did contact them, they did feel pretty bad, the owner told me that he would be more than happy to replace my dead fish (even tho I didn't purchase them there) he gave me two round pills, white with blue spots, about the diameter of a quarter and 1/4" thick. I have no idea what it is but it helped their tank, he said it was an angel disease and he has a central filter and it hit some of his sensitive fish, i looked at all of his tanks today and his fish all look great (as great as they did when i got my fish) lol. I've only been there 4 times and purchased there once and the guy is going way out of his way to make me happy.
telling my story to a friend that has fish, he said he has purchased many fish from there and has never had an issue. maybe I just had horrific timing.
The LFS has fresh and salt, very clean store and tanks, lots of coral frags, very reasonable prices and a few fish that I have been hunting...
since he is replacing my dead fish plus replacing the ones I brought back, do I put them in my tank? I did set up a 10gal quarantine tank...
p.s. what was the medicine he gave me?
Post InfoPosted 03-Aug-2010 23:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 03-Aug-2010 23:30
This post has been deleted
DeletedPosted 04-Aug-2010 00:49
DeletedPosted 27-Aug-2010 13:28
Gomer
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Small Fry with BBQ Sauce
Kudos: 1709
Votes: 106
male australia au-newsouthwales
I have no idea what the medicine was. I'd ring the store back and ask what the disease specifically was and what the medication actually is.

I wouldn't treat the tank without knowing what disease it is. If the LFS is offering you medication and they've successfully treated and cured their tanks they know what the disease is. Ring them and find out?
Post InfoPosted 26-Sep-2010 21:01Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
acoll188
Fingerling
Kudos: 16
Votes: 2
male australia au-queensland
it seems that you might of needed a different food. i had the same problem and i just switched to pellets.

A.Collins
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2011 23:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies