Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAny Flyers?
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
Was always curious, we got any other Kite Flyers on here?

my 7ft delta

Ive been doing it for 3 years now and am getting into larger kites now.

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 26-Apr-2009 19:01Profile PM Edit Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
Votes: 1
male newzealand
Needs a bigger motor, then you wouldn't need that string to keep it flying.
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2009 11:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
EditedEdited by kellyjhw
Funny thing, I did it as a kid and loved it. I bought 2 kites for my girls about 2 years ago and haven't opened them YET. I've got to make the time to get them out to a good sized field. It'll happen.... I just can't say when.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2009 16:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
EditedEdited by monkeyboy
motor lol... this is alot cheaper than anything rc. well so far for me. I've got about 12 kites and 20 rolls of sting. so far my largest is the 7ft kite. highest I put it up was about 250 ft.

I have a roll of string about 2200 feet. but havent put anything out that far yet. Longest I put anything out, was about 900 ft.

My goal is a 19ft delta that I've found. Gonna run about $450 for the kite and string.

But once you get out, you'll enjoy it again, its very relaxing and I spend all day sometimes flying. Kellyjhw, a place to fly? lol thats easy. Your near me, I know alot of place to fly in Michigan.

Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2009 17:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
I tried it as a kid, really enjoyed it, but it all just got tangled up everytime, and it kinda scared me a bit as i thought i could just take off...
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2009 21:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
It's not that I don't know good spots to fly. I just don't want to worry about stepping in dog poo. (or in my youngest girls chance of falling/being dragged by the kite through dog poo.) {Yes, she's a goof.}

Off of I275 and McNicols, behind SchoolCraft College, they have a huge kite club. These suckers are gargantuan. I'm surprised noone's been picked up by the wind and tossed onto the freeway.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 28-Apr-2009 07:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
mez... yea some of those cheaper small kites are very hard to fly and when they do, they dont last long. gotta get the ones that say RipStop Nylon. Alot better

LOL yea I know those guys. I haven't flown there yet, but I'm hoping to. But yea, those guys know how to put them so they dont fly off. I've been out sometimes and will have like 10 kites at once in the air

Honestly, since I've started flying. I've never had that problem at any park I've been to.

As far as being dragged by the kite, If you just use a small one from any stores, that wont happen, their not strong enough.

Post InfoPosted 28-Apr-2009 22:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ironhand74
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 69
Votes: 295
male usa
EditedEdited by Ironhand74
prism mirage- 8ft delta dual line
prism quantum 7ft delta dual line
beamer mk4, 5.M powerfoil quad line gives the best ride for me, takes my 250lb carcass for a ride heheeeee!!
Monkey is right, the smaller single line models are no where near strong enough to pull ya over, not even the micro-deltas are that hard pulling ( unless your stacked 10 or more lol ). My hardest pulling delta is the quantum, has snapped 80# specter line on windy days at Long Beach, WA. now strung with 200' of 150#. The beamer is strung with 450# mains/ 200# brakes, low set is 75' the high set is 150'.....
Fellas, make note here, when the spouse tells ya to go fly a kite..... by all means DO IT !!
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 06:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
you've got a beamer mk4? oh I'm so jelious. I do have a dual line like that, but I dont know much about it. Got it from ebay and they didnt give any info. All I know bout it, is that its a dual line and its about 6ft wide. I've tried dual line deltas, but have had no luck yet. I may this summer. My dual line is on 85ft of 100# spectra. I had it out last night in 20+ winds, and it was pullin nice all over.
I dont know the strength of most of my line, I got it from local hardware stores, I its about 75# or so. I have lengths from 200 to 2200 ft. Yes 2200. LOL I havent used that spool yet.

As wild as this may sound, if the winds low enough, I'll lay out all of what I got and take pics of my collection.

Well, I gotta say, here is my now prized kite. I havent flown it yet, but I will. I got it 2 weeks ago.

My Prize

I'm setting it out this week to see how long it is.

Post InfoPosted 03-May-2009 13:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ironhand74
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 69
Votes: 295
male usa
EditedEdited by Ironhand74
oh wow... that should be interesting to see in the air!!, look forward to that pic.
Me and a few flying buddies are working up a notion of swedging loops in both ends of a 3/8 steel cable, maybe 150-200' , and pulling tension between the trailer hitches, shackle on a zip-line truck and modifying an old parachute harness .... you see where this is going....hehehehe... I'll probably the next nominee for the coveted Darwin Award... lol
whats your max alt. limit in your state?, 400' here in Wash.
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2009 06:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
LOL uh yea gotta see pics of that adventure..

Ok, here is the kite laid out. dragon at rest]http://iefb9q.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pzzc7G7KvDxJxutsTgRlSJg63K6rtgFJxvefSe5AZTSeCRJ1cUF2wQU5i7fPx-OKXpA3UTlyRl2Sz8J6UoI7BKz5APNQZwehu/dragon_full.jpg[/link]. Well I wanted to see how it flew before I put the head on. [link=body movin]http://iefb9q.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p8pDfly5N9DgiTZn2RM6b1Zirkf3geVfgnxZHGWzVJPE0C2pIkAqerwcyHzW_urYeDWnvGCbBPuHo2eoD8MHILjfTfC4qF1W_/dragon_flying.jpg[/link]. Thats my dad giving it a try. [link=action shot

From head to tail, dragon measures 50ft total length. And I thought my power kite pulled, this was in 10-15 mph winds, it pulls hard.

I'm trying to remember flying height here. All I can remember is 200ft near the airport is max. I have gone higher around there, but I know the flight patterns and I'm safe. Highest I've gone, was about 400 maybe 450. My next goal, to find those small altimiters to check my actual heights

Post InfoPosted 07-May-2009 01:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies