AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Off Topic
 L# The Recovery Room
  L# Babelfishs' Wildlife Rescue, or That Branch is Looking at Me Funny!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBabelfishs' Wildlife Rescue, or That Branch is Looking at Me Funny!
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
The better half and I strapped the kayaks to the prius and headed to Wivenhoe dam for a paddle last weekend.

No power boats, no dogs, almost no people! There was a slight breeze but was otherwise perfect.

Since it had been raining a lot the past few months, after years of drought, some landmasses in the dam that had previously held their own ecosystems were now completely submerged, others had just a few bits of dried grass or branches sticking up. Paddling over one such submerged island I noticed a branch watching me. I stopped and had a closer look, sure enough something four legged and two eyed was there, but it wasn't moving, and as I called out to adam about it (and was informed 'bearded dragon') I decided that sadly it might have starved to death. I started to paddle on,I saw a blink. He was still alive! At which point the bleeding heart environmentalist whacko in me decided that Adam should rescue it for me .

So, a short bit later we set off again towards the large island we'd been headed to. Me with a few photos on my camera, Adam carrying an extra branch with critter still hanging on as if his life depended on it

We finished our paddle to the larger island we had been heading towards, and managed, slowly, to convince the little guy to separate from his branch. He moved slowly, and was a lot smaller than I had first thought.

There was the remains of a lightening struck tree close to the shore where we had beached our kayaks, figured the sun warmed wood would be a good place to settle him in. He actually blended in very well, I'd have hated to get him onto dry land only for him to become a meal for someone else before he had a chance to get a meal of his own! Once he was on the tree stump he did move a bit faster. Adam and I moved off to have our own lunch.

After about an hour Adam went back to check and saw no sign of him. Sure we all wanted more water in our dams, and I know one small 'rescue' won't have made a difference in the world, but I feel good about it

Would have liked to have better photos though !

^_^

Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2009 03:11Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Oleta
---------------
---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
You can\'t rollerskate in a buffalo herd
Kudos: 2260
Votes: 186
usa us-texas
lucky wittle critter

Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2009 03:49Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Again, thats not a bearded dragon.
You must tell Adam to stop labelling anything Agamid a Bearded Dragon! haha
Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2009 19:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Adam

---------------
---------------
----------
Administrator
male australia au-queensland
Actually, here I label everything either Deadly, or Not as Deadly.

So what is it then smartypants?
Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2009 23:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
EditedEdited by Mez
LOL.
Probably Pogona minor sp. Lil bit stressed and was prolly soaking it up in the sun. I guess you could still call em a beardie, theyre technically in the same family.
Good to see some good shots of stuff in the wild though, anymore?
Mez
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 02:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Sure kinda looks like one to me, but then my classification is 'spiky bits, 4 legs, tail'

I didn't want to stress anymore what I figured was an already pretty stressed animal, which is why most of the photos are a little on the wonky side
Here's a better photo of the back patterning that might help you narrow it down.... Granted I'm find with calling it spiky thing.

Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 03:18Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I'd just call it a lizard! Although my eldest would scream, " It's creeping me out. Make it stop staring at me!"

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 05:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
EditedEdited by Babelfish
Aye, things usually get named spiky thing. or thereabouts.

Considering adam calls every green leafy thing 'gum tree' being in this country or not you cant blame me for doing the same to him

It cant creep your eldest out, look at the pic where adams holding it in his open hand. No he hasn't got freakishly large hands, it was a small bearded dragon. Look at its front left paw, it's still curled up and has no strength yet. The belly is really small too, compared to what they usually are like.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 04-May-2009 07:02Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california
Nice bearded dragon. I'll have to find some of those when I'm in Queensland in a couple months.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2009 21:44Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies