SubscribeNaughty! Impulse buy
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
What was I thinking??? (Let's see. Ow my feet hurt, these bags are heavy, why advertise that if you aren't going to...ohhh! pet shop! ohhh! crabs! Or something like that anyway.)

Anyway, meet Onion.

Pickles didn't want to be photographed.

I am still kicking myself over this one, especially since they came from a chain shop that made me pay $2 for the stupid printed cardboard carry box to transport them in. I was tempted to say no and just get them put in a fish bag, but I had already given the girl a hard time about the ones that were 'just resting' (she says, as she whistles into their shells) and overheard a fantastic conversation about cat litter that was so mindboggling that I really didn't have the energy to play the "nah, I'll just pop them in my pocket" game. I wonder if they'll start charging for fish bags soon?

Anyway, I digress. They are TOO CUTE! Onion absconded with an oat shortly after that picture and Pickles is busily tunnelling under the water bowl and then climbing up the vine thingy, only to repeat the process after a short rest. It is constantly scrabble scrabble clunk bang squeak

Does anyone else have these? Apparently the lifespan on this species is something like 30 years! I can't find a max size anywhere, but I'm guessing maybe golfballish? At the moment they are somewhere between marble and broad bean sized

Very interesting critters

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 10-May-2008 21:15Profile PM Edit Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
EditedEdited by zachf92
haha nice little story

but anyway, i have had two of these little critters back when i was 8 or something, so i can't quite recall how to take care of them and such. What i do remember, though, is that you need plenty of extra shells laying around for when it grows too large for its own shell, but im sure youve already figured that one out.

I also remember that my first one lived for about two years, while my second didnt live long at all, and i vividly remember why-
one day i unintentionally left a sock on its cage while i was getting ready for school. well when i came back from school, he was gone i looked everywhere around my room but eventually gave up. The next day, around the afternoon, i found him unfortunately dead, at my sliding glass door. He managed to climb up my sock, come down from his stand, go all the way across my room, go down a full flight of stairs, crawl all the way across a living room, and eventually reach the sliding glass door!.

and so the point of the story is hermit crabs are deceiving good escape masters, which you never guess with the large, bulky shell on their backs.
Post InfoPosted 11-May-2008 05:52Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
note to self: socks do not go on crab tanks

I had a similar issue with a crayfish, poor thing looked like a dustbunny and took hours to rehydrate enough to sink again!

I got a picture of Pickles

Attached Image:

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 11-May-2008 06:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
Fantabulous creatures. Those eyes on stalks sure got me.

Zach, that escape story is amazing. they certainly can tip-toe a distance. What a Houdini using the sock to rapel down the tank.

Sound like they are a ton o' fun Calla.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2008 06:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
i had three not to long ago. one was near baseball size and was actually huge. i had them in an uncovered tub with crushed walnut chells for substrate... they did well until they all became smart and dissappeared one after the other... stepped on one hiding under dirty clothes on morning and the other two i found shell less under my bed... it was odd. they do need misting with water and their water bowl should be really shallow (like 1cm) or should have a sponge in to to prevent drowning. also the cocnout shells are nice becasue they like to hide and keep out of sight in certian times. they eat all kinds of prepared foods and a variety is best. clean the tank once a week with a complete substrate rejuvination. often times pet stores reccomend calcium ofrtified sand or similar, but thats just smelly and adds to the cost... not much benefit. nothing else i can think of other than keep their tank covered and secure... they are escape artists...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 13-May-2008 08:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
These guys are very tricky! No wonder they have stayed so popular with people, they look so simple and as soon as you dig deeper into it you realise they are anything but. Cheap and low maintenance, but certainly not simple!

Their tank has been upgraded to include a large saltwater bathing area (yay for tupperware), some coconut fibre (pfft, should have rehydrated a corner of the brick, I have litres of the stuff in the oven and all over the house drying out ) and small pebbles as substrate and various climby things. I'm still hunting a larger tank for them so I can build in some proper ponds, but I've hit a snag and the crabby people seem not to have much info, so I thought I'd ask you fishy lot

Can you cycle a terrarium-type setup? I am trying to keep the humidity up but, as you can probably imagine, that just invites bacterial growth. How do you balance it?

Post InfoPosted 14-May-2008 19:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Troy_Mclure
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 306
male australia
Dont know whether it would be harmfull but have you considdered one of those ultrasonic misters?

Maybe you can mount it beyond the reach of the crabs.
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2008 02:34Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Don't forget to make sure that the water you provide is topped up with plenty of calcium. As they grow, they will moult, even though they don't have a protected rear section - the rest of the crab is armoured. So you'll need to ensure that they have a calcium rich diet. Grate some cuttlefish bone (as sold for budgerigars to chew on) into the water and that should provide them with calcium in the water.

Also, take whatever food you're providing, and when moulting time looks as if it's approaching, start coating their food in cuttlefish bone dust.

Plus, be prepared to shell out (pardon the pun) on a good selection of replacement mollusc shells for each moult. After a moult, a hermit crab will move into a new shell, and discard the old one. You might find that when it does, the other crab decides to take up residence in the discarded shell just for the fun of it, by the way!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2008 11:17Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
Coincidence that you name your crabs after foods ? Fattening them up before the garlic butter dip ?
hehehe

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 18-May-2008 18:11Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
male uk
I suspect the shape of those shells had something to do with the name choice.

Post InfoPosted 18-May-2008 21:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
yes, the names came from the shells. Onion looks very much like a small pickled onion and pickles was just a follow on from that. If I'm lucky enough to find a strawberry crab when I'm up north in the next few months, I have a name picked out already that goes with the theme

I have mixed them two dry foods already (the bought ones were utterly lousy and smelled like dust), one with mainly grains and one with high colour foods, so I've hopefully covered most of the dietary needs. The rest should be covered by the fresh foods. The waters are also full of shell grit and dust, as is part of the substrate. Once they get through a moult I'll reassess, but I think they should be OK for calcium and minerals. I'm also hunting worm castings (may need to DIY) as apparently they really like those.

I'm a bit of an avid shell collector, so I'm pretty much set until they get past golf ball size Of course, they want to keep their dull boring shells but hey, they really kind of suit them so I'm not complaining. It is rather a shame that I can't get those types of shells down here, it would be nice to keep them in the same type.

I'm wondering today if Pickles has managed to pull off a quick moult while I wasn't paying attention. He looks a little bigger and a lot darker than I recall, but I can't be certain.

Post InfoPosted 19-May-2008 07:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
Well best of luck with the new pets !

I've been calling my male keyhole by various names lately, but 'Onion' isn't one of them lol

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 20-May-2008 04:12Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gqqA0G6o6Gs

^^ Pickles exploring his dinner.

Post InfoPosted 21-May-2008 16:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
can i have it for my mantis shrimp?
Post InfoPosted 21-May-2008 18:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
It'd be like a pre-packaged lunch!

Nah, i think I'll keep them as unfood

Post InfoPosted 21-May-2008 20:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
male uk

Don't suppose you happen to have a taxonomic name for the species in question?

Only I agree that they look incredibly cute. And might decide to add a couple to the menagerie if any turn up here.

Post InfoPosted 24-May-2008 00:48Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
I do indeed they are Coenobita variabilis, Australian Land Hermit Crab.

Post InfoPosted 24-May-2008 03:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
weird22person
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 106
Votes: 11
male usa
Ive heard that you should leave the molted shells in the cage for a while after they drop them. They nibble on the old shells for the calcium they left behind.

20 Gallon Long:
Aquaclear 300
2 Bolivian Rams, Mikrogeophagus altispinosus: Gumby and Pokey
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2008 01:57Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies