Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Who here keeps cockatiels?
I had one as a young boy but had severe allergies to them that has dissapeared.
Will get some photos tomorrow when it's not so stressy.
James
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2008 23:26Profile PM Edit Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
Kudos: 292
Votes: 51
female australia
We have one cockatiel, Sunny. He's a cutie and he talks, absolutely loves my mum cos she's home all day with him. he loves being able to fly around the house all day and picks when he's had enough he will go back into his cage.

Did you just get a baby one? how cute are they!

Truth doesn't always win friends but it influences them
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2008 00:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I used to have one named Sweet Pea. She died, though. Suspect egg binding. They're very good pet birds though.

><>
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2008 02:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
We had 4. It started of with a wild coloured male, and then we got a cinnamon female for his mate as I had less time to spend with him. Then we picked up one from a country pet store while we were on holidays. He was the weirdest colour and not all that attractive but he *really* wanted out of the cage and to be with humans. No idea what colour he is, fluoro yellow/light grey pearl maybe? He's very light cinnamon/bright yellow these days, it changes every moult. And then #4 was purchased purely on colour, she was sold as albino pied, but um, yeah, kinda think that is unlikely to exist. Primarily white with a silver patch on her back, so I would have said silver pied.

The white one used to lay in the seed box (we had to install several as she just didn't want a nest box thankyouverymuch), about 3 eggs at a time. She was mating with the fluoro boy regularly, but none of the eggs were ever fertile so we'd just let her sit til she got bored with it and then take them away. The original wild coloured male had a lot of trouble adjusting to being a bird, so although he and the cinnamon were technically a pair, he would tread a perch rather than her, even when she took the initiative and tried walking underneath him or similar.

They live with my folks now, as when we were staying there saving for the house deposit, Mum got a bit attached. Unfortunately the cage blew over in some wild windstorms and we lost both females and the fluoro male. The wild coloured male has a weak wing from a dislocation due to an awkward fall on a clipped wing, so he was just sitting on the open cage calling for them. Through a serious of events that involved the secretary at the chiropractor and some random person at a local school, we located the fluoro male male at the Winnebago factory Apparently he just flew in there and cozied up to the workers. We were very lucky that they didn't keep him and that he came home to us, he's one special little man

Every time we visit, the wild coloured one squeaks and squeals when he hears my voice. He doesn't want to come out or be patted these days, he's a real bird now just wants to talk and dance and hassle the other male if he gets too close to me The other male just wants to play peekaboo for hours.

They are awesome little birds

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2008 16:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
EditedEdited by mez
mine bites and flies away
i hope it tames down.

There he is.
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2008 22:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
Kudos: 292
Votes: 51
female australia
oh so cute Mez!

Truth doesn't always win friends but it influences them
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2008 00:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Awww! pretty!

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2008 03:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
EditedEdited by monkeyboy
Cool. looks like one my mom used to have. Mine was almost all white.

Bites and flys away, odds are not raised as a hand fed, and more than likely, it will not calm down anytime soon. Hand feds usually will not bite you, unless you dont take care of it

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2008 19:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ethan14
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 339
Votes: 18
male usa
They seem like pretty cool birds but don't they scream bloody murder all of the time?
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2008 07:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
EditedEdited by superlion
Not as bad as conures (I would know ) , and it does depend on the individual bird. It's more of a shrill whistle. It's not the kind of scream you have to cover your ears for though.

><>
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2008 07:29Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
its more of a chirp. two or three times a day he does it - unless you show him the finches in the morning.
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2008 19:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies