AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Off Topic
 L# The Recovery Room
  L# So What Are You Reading At The Moment?
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSo What Are You Reading At The Moment?
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
LAZY and I don't care :D
Kudos: 360
Votes: 293
female usa
CrazyRed, if criminology and related matters comes within your reading remit, there's one seriously chilling book I can point you at - Perfect Victim. The so-called 'Girl In A Box' case. Not a book to read if you're e to nightmares though ...

Excelent!!! Another to add to my list....I'm glad y'all don't think I'm deranged for being fascinated by killers.

I could NOT agree more about disliking fiction. I can't hardly stand to read about something the didn't happen and will never happen...to a point. I still enjoy Stephen King's older stuff (Pet Sematary, The Shining, Salem's Lot) and I love Edgar Allen Poe. Gee, I am a weirdo aren't I??? I like serial killer books and scary horror books....maybe time for a mental health checkup.

I'll read anything that has to do with animals. I've got so many cat/dog/fish books it's pitiful. I could start my own "How To Train and Raise a Labrador Retriever" library. Good thing my lab is well behaved as a result.

~~Melissa~~
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."
Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2006 06:22Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
rjmcbean
----------
Hobbyist
Like a Farmer
Kudos: 75
Votes: 415
female usa
Its a true story about one from Albany NY.

That would scare me to death! I would be afraid to leave my apartment!!!

I am currently reading "IN HER SHOES" by Jennifer Weiner. I have been waiting to see the movie b/c I wanted to finish the book and it looks like I can see the movie this week with how fast I am wripping through it.

Not too sure what is next on the list. I am trying to work through Jennifer Weiner's books now..she is good and about my age so I relate to her.

"it's the neck, it creaks under the weight of too much heavy thinking."
Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2006 09:29Profile AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.

Margaret Atwood depicts a near-future world that turns from the merely horrible to the horrific, from a fool's paradise to a bio-wasteland. Snowman (a man once known as Jimmy) sleeps in a tree and just might be the only human left on our devastated planet. He is not entirely alone, however, as he considers himself the shepherd of a group of experimental, human-like creatures called the Children of Crake. As he scavenges and tends to his insect bites, Snowman recalls in flashbacks how the world fell apart.

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2006 19:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
just beginning

---------------
----------
Literature Nerd
Kudos: 1380
Votes: 198
female australia au-queensland
I just finished Oryx and Crake myself. I love Margaret Atwood!

Now reading A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. Trying to educate myself on some science-y type things.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde
Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2006 01:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Kunzman96
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 91
Votes: 115
male usa
That actually sounds really interesting. I will have to pick that up. I have not read sci-fi for a while. I just finished "FLYBOYS", by James Bradley. He was the author of "Flags of Our Fathers". It is the true story of nine American pilots shot down in the Pacific during WII. It also gets into some graphic stuff about canibalism and war crimes that both sides commited. Interesting reading for anyone who knows someone who served in the Pacific. Oh, and one of the pilots was former President G.H.W. Bush Sr. though his story was not as exciting as the other ones.

"Talk is cheap. Action can be almost as affordable"
Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2006 08:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jase101
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 273
Votes: 1
male australia
i'm reading my trainee's reports on 'what makes a good teacher' (i teach people to teach) and 'fast food nation', a sorry indictment of the social and economic impact fast food companies have had and are having on the planet.
Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2006 10:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
I would like to read Patricia Cornwalls book about her theories on Walter Sichert (sp?), the British artist, whom she believes to be Jack the Ripper.

I happen to have that very book in my collection. I won't spoil the ending for you though CrazyRed.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2006 23:49Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
Hmmmm interesting the "what are you reading" thread has more interest than the "what are you watching (DVD)".... either we are more likely to be book worms than couch potatoes or books inspire more passion!

?

Interesting *taps temple with index finger*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2006 06:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lemans81
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 2
male usa
I am reading dean koontz's brother odd
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2006 13:22Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
female australia
Currently reading:

Garlic and Sapphires

by Ruth Reichl

Fabulous. Was a food critic for NY Times. Took on different disguises so she could review restaurants in cognito... but didn't count on the personalities of these alter ego diners taking over!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2006 00:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
houston
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
You want what when?
Kudos: 2462
Votes: 337
female usa
I'm currently reading Mary Mary, by James Patterson, because I wanted to read his newest one, "Cross", but now dont know what I'm going to read when I finish because,now I have that one and uh well got "Hannibal Rising" by Thomas Harris...and well there is the new Clive Cussler "Treasure of Khan"...so I guess for now it's "Mary Mary" after tonight, or when I finish it later I have no idea...should be packing or something I guess...

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." Thomas Carlyle
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2006 00:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
female australia
Sacred Contracts: Awakening your Divine Potential
Caroline Myss

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 19-Dec-2006 05:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
I happen to have that very book in my collection. I won't spoil the ending for you though CrazyRed.

Thanks Cal, I appreciate that, as I just picked up that book this weekend. I went insane at Waldenbooks and bought 5 books!!! Buy 4 get one free! I picked up Patricia Cornwall's book about Walter Sichert, I got Ann Rule's book about Ted Bundy (the one I was referring to earlier), I got a book by forensic psychiatrist Dr. Keith Ablow called "Inside the Mind of Scott Peterson." Should be interesting, and I also got a book about Andrea Yates. Why am I so interested in sickos?? Finally, a paperback encyclopedia of Serial Killers. LOL I'm sure they were wondering about me at the bookstore, but the one of the salesman and I had a 30 minute conversation about Ed Gein, and he seemed to know almost as much about him as I do. Gee, maybe i'm not the only weirdo down here.

~~Melissa~~
Post InfoPosted 19-Dec-2006 18:10Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
houston
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
You want what when?
Kudos: 2462
Votes: 337
female usa
Ok decision was made not on my part but by what was most available at the time...in the middle of "Cross" a bit twisted a few flashbacks to what we know happened but hasn't really been said...great book...uh anyone want to help me pack all my books? The move is officially on

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." Thomas Carlyle
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2006 01:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Terry Pratchett "Mort" again, just finished "colour of magic" and next will be one of my all "___ing" time Terry "___ing" favs "The Truth"

All my books are packed except for my copy of the ultimate hitchhikers guide, and that's too heavy to read at night .

BTW the ___ing is a joke, you'll have to read the book to get it .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2006 17:41Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
goldfishgeek
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 412
Votes: 38
female uk
does anyone read more then book at a time or is that just me?

I have to read history and media books for work, and then David Eddings or Laurell K Hamilton for escapism. I love Fiction not that keen on Science, like reading biographies also reading Laura Bacall and Henry kissenger's

Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2006 01:08Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
bananacoladafuze
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 147
Votes: 19
female usa
EditedEdited by bananacoladafuze
I'm reading The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester and When We Were Gods by Colin Falconer.

Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2006 06:44Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
I usually have several books and magazines going at the same time. What I read, really depends on what room I'm in at the moment.

I'm currently reading an issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist, Aquarium Magazine and American Rifleman.

I'm also reading Killifish, Their care and breeding by Anthony C. Terceira, Vierke's Aquarium Book by Jorg Vierke, Dwarf Cichlids by Jorg Vierke and Idaho, Off the Beaten Path by Julie Fanselow.

It's hard for me to just sit down and read any one book or magazine from cover to cover.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2006 22:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 23-Dec-2006 00:30
This post has been deleted
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
David Eddings is great. I love that he can write just good clean fun and still make you laugh out loud.

Guess that's a big thing for me especially in books your reading just for fun....it's good in books you have to read for school though too .

I'm rereading HP and the Order of the Phoenix, dunno why I thought it was the one I hadn't finished reading...although I really feel like curling up with Les Miserables ATM.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2006 00:31Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
female australia
Sometimes I read more than one at a time.

ATM I am reading all of Maya Angelou's autobigraphies printed in one big book. Saw it at the library and grabbed it. /:'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2006 06:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
female australia
EditedEdited by wish-ga
Are people still working their way through books received as gifts?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 04:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
Kudos: 292
Votes: 51
female australia
im reading HP and the order of the pheonix .. im so hooked i cant seem to put it down.. lucky for hour long train rides to and from work each day

Truth doesn't always win friends but it influences them
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 07:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Yep, Wish - I got Chronicles of Narnia and just finished Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Two more books to go!

><>
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 14:56Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
Now I'm reading Ann Rule's book about Ted Bundy. Man, that woman can write!!

~~Melissa~~
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 17:33Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
I just finished Eragon/Eldest and Da Vinci Code. I'm taking a break

Inky
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 18:29Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
Kudos: 47
Votes: 99
male usa
I wish I had the time to read as much as I used to. Pretty much these day's, if I am reading it is to my sons. Various Thomas the Tank Engine books, Dr. Seuss, If You Give a Moose a Muffin. Real Classics!

Although, I am eagerly waiting for the 12th and final Book of the Wheel of Time series, by Robert Jordan, to be published.

Rick
See all my pictures at Google Web Albums
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 18:41Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa
EditedEdited by fish patty

"Various Thomas the Tank Engine books, Dr. Seuss, If You Give a Moose a Muffin. Real Classics!"

Good for you slick! We need more dad's like that!
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 18:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Hey rick, give "king bidgoods in the Bathtub" and "sheep in a shop" a try

Not sure what age range you've got but the former is great for all ages, the latter is for a slightly younger crowd although still good...I think I still have it memorized from when my youngest was learning to read at age 4 .

Youngest sister that is .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 20:24Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
just beginning

---------------
----------
Literature Nerd
Kudos: 1380
Votes: 198
female australia au-queensland
Now reading 'Autograph Man' by Zadie Smith. She's the kind of writer that makes me just want to give up - she's amazing.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 02:44Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
female australia
EditedEdited by wish-ga
I think it is called "The taste of memory".... food themed library book.... still workin' my way through the titles on that bookmark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 04:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
While we're speaking of reading, does anyone have "reading disease" like me where, when you start reading a really great book, you just can't seem to put it down???

I started "The Stranger Beside Me" by Ann Rule this weekend and I can't stop reading it. I stayed up until 1:30 am reading it and had to get up at 6:30 am to get ready for work. It drives me crazy, but I just could NOT put it down. I brought it to work with me today hoping to sneak in a few chapters.....I'm a sick woman.

Anybody else suffer form this??

P/S: Reading about Ted Bundy late at night is a serious mistake for a single mom!! I was uber-paranoid when I finally did put it down and went around checking that all my windows were locked. Good thing too, one was unlocked... a Serial Killer could have sneaked in.

~~Melissa~~
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 17:00Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Doedogg
---------------
Banned
Kudos: 737
Votes: 445
female usa
a Serial Killer could have sneaked in.

Don't give yourself a heart attack!!
I'm the same way reading though, I can't put something down if its really good.

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
~ Mae West
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 17:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
It's hard not to be paranoid when you're reading about killers.... LOL I can't believe that window was unlocked....thank goodness for the Ted Bundy book or I might have just been robbed.

~~Melissa~~
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 18:06Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

crazyred- Does your yellow lab welcome strangers in & shows them where your valuables are?

I have 4 indoor dogs. I don't worry about strangers.

They say, we become what we behold. If you're not going to become a serial killer, then you are going to be a nervous wreck just reading about them. Stop that!
Or at least just take a break.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 19:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
LOL, good point. Rose (my yellow lab) would lose it if anyone came into my house. heheheh. It's just too easy to realize what can happen out there when you read about stuff like that. I think it's a good example of 'what not to do'.

FYI: Ladies, don't let a stranger with a seemingly broken arm, leg or any other appendage talk you into helping him do anything at or in his car no matter how gorgeous and 'normal' he seems. That's how Bundy made off with most of his victims. Only a few were attacked in their homes.

~~Melissa~~
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 21:32Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
heh, our golden retriever would greet a stranger and show him the valuables...

Last semester there was a guy near our campus who was acting drunk to trick a girl into going to his apartment with him. Fortunately she got away, but not until after a lot of really bad stuff

Back on topic though, I'm currently enjoying The Silver Chair

><>
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 22:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
My new camera manual

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 22:48Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
The Complete Book of Chess Strategy by Jerry Silman.

Joe Potato
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 22:50Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
female australia
Suuperlion you hear of a lot of frightening things you pass on. Campus life seems fraught with frightening things for you.

I am reading "The Foodtaster"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2007 04:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies