SubscribeStung by Lionfish
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
For all those that dont look in the general marine forum....
Well heres another one i can add to the collection!!
I was stung today at work by a 4-5 inch antennata lion. WOW.
I have been stung and chewed on by a lot of things including stung by an emperor scorpion and bitten by a large angry pine snake.
This was a different ball game. Emperor scorpions are supposed to be like 4 or 5 bee stings, well ive never been stung by a bee but it was probably four or five times worse than an emperor scorpion sting and a lot more localized, rather than my whole hand swelling up it went rather red and only three fingers swelled and the top half of my hand.

The only thing to do aparantly is submerge your hand in water as hot as you can take it, i did this for about 2 hours and after the first hour most of the pain had gone, but the numbness still remains now. Luckily i had read up before on this and Hannah contacted a friend at the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, they said basically the same, unless the finger was to swell large enough that it literally will pop (this is possible) there is no point in going to hospital or anything because all they would do is drain and inject you with anti-histamines.
Quite freaky and bizzare how it happened. Totally my fault, was feeding a tiny snowflake eel a soaked lancefish and the lion was obviously hiding at the front under the lip of the tank, as soon as i put the lancefish in the water the lion swam forward, jumped out of the water and took the lancefish, and stinging me on the right index finger with the second dorsal spine.
THE OFFENDER

THE EVIDANCE - 5 minutes in!

OOPS!
James
Post InfoPosted 10-Sep-2008 02:56Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
aaaah wow that looks uncomfy!

According to what I've heard on dive boats, hot chicken soup works too if you don't have hot water .

I will definitely not try and tease one next time I see one diving! I don't want exploding fingers!!!!

Hope you're doing better! maybe oral allergy pills would help? If that's what they do at hospital anyway.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 10-Sep-2008 04:57Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
There are several wild marine fish in our bay (not tropical) and getting stung by a spine is not uncommon. Yes hot water is certainly the best. With one fish it has small side "spurs" these are not very long but they can give you a real kick for some time and the cure is use the natural slime from their under belly and it actually works. We also have a jumping type ant that can cause swelling within seconds like a sting. The area they are usually found is bracken fern type open areas. Again a simple cure grab a few stems of bracken fern snap them and rub the sap directly onto the sting instant cure.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 10-Sep-2008 08:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
*rethinks his desire to keep lionfish when he finally gets a marine tank*

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 10-Sep-2008 15:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies