Cmreds
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 13
Votes: 0
male usa
EditedEdited by cmreds
Hello everyone,

I realize this topic has been discussed to no end within the forum, but I am having the hardest time getting rid of a brownish almost pasty algae once and for all.

Here's the deal. I have 2 tanks and the 1st tank was setup over two years ago and I had no problems with the brown algae. My second tank a 30 gallon has now been setup for almost 4 months and still has the brown algae no matter what I do.

To date. The 30 gallon has roughly 28 inches of fish (tiger barbs, rosy barbs and a rtbs). I perform 25% weekly water changes, I check the water quality for everything biweekly and the only problem is a little water hardness, the tank has 5 sword plants that are growing very well, the bulb is a Flora-Glo, the tank is in a room with a window (but on opposite sides of the room), I have a 30 gallon Whisper filter in the tank that I keep at moderate water flow, and I have checked my fish food (various TetraMin flakes, Hikari bloodworms and Hikari algae wafers)and they all have the same amounts of phosphates. At this point I would expect the tank to not have the nasty brown algae. I should add I this brown algae is not like green algae. It is very gooey and attaches itself to the glass and the water intake tube, but is easily removed.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2008 20:17Profile PM Edit Report 
papasan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 34
male uk uk-england
hi cmreds you are cursed with brown i have a problem with bb but with keeping my phosphates down and using flourish excel i can keep on top of things have a look at plantgeek.net they have some good info also ucaps.co.uk

hope this is of some help

cheers
papasan.
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2008 20:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
papasan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 34
male uk uk-england
sorry it is ukaps
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2008 20:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi Chris,
Try changing the bulb from Flora Glow to Flora Sun
or any other bulb that has the word "Sun" in its title.
Diatoms (brown algae) thrive in water rich in silica
with low current and low light.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2008 15:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies