AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Water Quality
  L# Callatya, (or anyone)...I will have to remove one of my running filters
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCallatya, (or anyone)...I will have to remove one of my running filters
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 68
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by daddySEAL
I do plan to have the 20g tank running continuously(even when only an algea eater is in it), for the various reasons I mentioned in that previous post.

I like your idea(in the previous post) about seasoning my new Bio-wheel filter by running it on one of my existing two 55g tanks. But both tank slots are full. I run 2 big Emperor 400 Bio-Wheel filters on each tank. There is not enough room to add the new 150.

IF I need to remove one of the 400s for awhile to season the little 150,...how long will it take to season the 150, while I keep a big 400 in a box, Please?
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2008 15:03Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I'm not familiar with all of the equipment you are using, so this is probably a question best answered by a local (you can get Emperors here, I believe, but they are very uncommon).

I'm assuming that the biowheel and the cartridges for the 400 and the 150 are completely incompatible, correct? Or is the 400 a dual system? If the cartridges or biowheels are interchangeable, just switch them around and run old ones on the new tank, or half and half.

Can you mount the 150 on the front of your existing tank or is this a hood issue?

Another option would be to try switching a 400 and 150 around, but that is dicey as the 400 would likely make an absolute whirlpool of a 20, and suddenly ditching half of the filtration could destabilise the biofiltration on the 55.

For the time being, until someone familiar with the equipment pops by, put the new media cartridges into one of the 55s. It isn't as effective as running them in the filter, but a surface is a surface. It won't do much, but it won't hurt either, and you might as well be using the time while you figure out a plan .

As for time, It depends on how stable you want the colony in the filter to be. A week'll do if you are stocking with one algae eater, but for breeding angels I'd want more like two or longer. That would be what I would give a standard cartridge HOB, the biowheels could alter that.

If you take the 400 off a 55, what do you mean by box? as in the cardboard packaging or running it on a box? If you think it is safe to take one off one of your tanks (a single 400 should be able to sustain a low/moderately stocked 55, especially if planted) keep the biowheels in the tank. As above, not perfect, but it is better than drying them out.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2008 19:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Thanks for answering, Callatya
this is the Marineland Emperor 400:
http://www.petsolutions.com/default.aspx?ItemId=47464002&EID=47464002&SID=FROOGLE

this is the Marineland Penguin 150:
http://www.petmeister.com/item2930.htm

The Emperor 400s are Dual Bio-wheel filters that have 2 bio-wheels each and pump a lot of water(I use 2 dual bio-wheel 400s, cycling about 800 gallons, or 3000 liters combined per hour in each of my 55 (208 liter)tanks, I like to have LOTS of water turn over, and extra filtering). The 150 is a single bio-wheel, but smaller than the bio-wheels in the larger filter. The cartridges are smaller than in the 400s (which uses 4 for each filter). The 150 has 2 smaller cartidges that would not fill the space in the cartridge compartment of the 400s. I WISH they were interchangable, but are not.

I think your idea of adding the 150 to one of the 55g tanks while the other 400s are all running is good. The hood is an issue, but removable. I can run and hang the added 150 on the side of the tank with the hood propped open somewhat.

I guess I'll let it run for 2 weeks before moving it, and the breeding Angels over to the 20g.

Thank you for your help.
(Oh, by box, I meant cardboard packing box they came in...and toss the 2 larger bio-wheels into the running tank to keep them "viable", but your idea of adding the Marineland 150 to the running tank is best of all.

Thank you
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2008 20:11Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
daddyseal, the filter cartridges and bio wheels are the same size correct? well in the case of necessity you can jsut take a biowheel and a cartridge (or two if yours has the 2 slots) then you can just clean tehm and re-use them inthe 55g tank when done... no need to cycle the tank, just pop out the "dirty" into the "clean" and there you go! you can even toss teh old cartridges and cleant the biowheel no need to prop open or anything!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2008 23:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
thanks brandeeno,
I guess my replies are too long for people to bother reading completely...but I mentioned about the they are definitely not the same size, therefor not interchangeable in my hube bio-wheel 400 filters (even though on the same brand..Marineland)

I truly wish they were, but my 120's wheel and filters are Tiny compare to the 400's.

Callatya's suggestion about also hanging it on my big tank with their filters in working. The 120 is happily sloshing/spinning along hung on one end, with a minor shift of my hood. According to her 1 week recommentation before putting in my 20g tank to bring over my breeding Angelfish, I am now 3 or 4 days away from the end of that week timeframe. Everything looks positive for my breeding tank attempt in a few more days.

Really a bummer to have all the Marineland bio-wheel filters Not interchangable, but that's how they are. Now I have to buy a bunch of Tiny filter elements to use in it.

thanks
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2008 19:32Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
*whistles* two weeks or more if you are bringing in a breeding pair of angels One would do for a small algae eater, but if they spawn and you have fry and all the fuss that comes along with it, the more stable your filter is, the better.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2008 21:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Oops!
Thanks for reminding me that a liitle more than 2 weeks was the time frame to season the bio-wheel filter before bringing the breeding pair over (and setting up the new tank), Callatya.

Thank you
Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2008 19:09Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Daddy, how long do you think it took?

I am doing the same thing now.

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/37876.1.htm?3#
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 21:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Krash7172,
The Penquin 125 filter is still happily running on my 55g tank, along with the other two massive 400 filters. Its been about 5 weeks now. The bio-wheel looks to be seasoned by it's slight gray mottled appearance. It think I'll make the move to the 20g breeding tank this weekend.

I've been extra cautious after Callatya warned me about rushing it. A new bio-wheel can take up to a month to be totally functioning(depending on how many fish you put in the new tank using it)....and these breeding angels are some of the fish I've owned and loved the longest of all my fish. They are so big and spectacular and breeding every 2 weeks for years with no baby from them getting eaten (now THAT it persistance in the face of adversity, I admire them), I don't want to take ANY chances on losing them.

So, I'll wait a few more days.
You may not need to do it as long as I am doing, but I'd suggest at least 3 weeks...depending on the "load" of fish you intend putting in your new tank. Her idea was Awesomely insightful...Kudos, Callatya!

dS
Good luck...what fish are you putting in your new tank?
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2008 20:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
5 weeks will get it going without adding bacteria

My experience was 5 days was enough to populate the new wheels by adding a well seasoned filter to the tank. While the filter was on my 75, I cleaned and moved my 29 where I wanted it after I was confident that the 75 was stable. So basically, I started up two brand new clean tanks but kept a 150 biowheel seasoned. I monitored ammonia, nitrite and nitrate closely. Each tank went through a mini cycle that lasted less than 48 hours. Keep in mind that my tanks are understocked and I didn't add any fish during the process. The 150 alone was enough biofilter for all of my fish.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2008 21:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
I see, OK
I guess I'm near the other end of the load spectrum.
I like lots of movement and color with many more fish.

Thanks
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2008 22:15Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
I'm starting to restock slowly now. This will be the first large community tank I've had. I usually have a couple large cichlids but I'm ready for a tank like yours
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2008 22:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies