AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Water Quality
  L# Can I cycle a new tank and filter without fish....this way ?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCan I cycle a new tank and filter without fish....this way ?
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 68
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by daddySEAL
I just bought a new 20g tank setup with a Bio-wheel type filter (Emperor 125)as a breeding/quarantine tank.

My other 55g tanks are ready to have a partial water change done on them.

If I fill the 20g tank about half way with the "old" water from the other tanks before changing them(and then fill rest of way in my new 20g tank with new good water), will that get the tank filter cycling without a fish in it yet?
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 18:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
Most of the bacteria that does your waster management is attached to stuff, not free-floating in the water.

I'd suggest running the filter on your 55g for a week to seed the media, and also adding a stocking of the gravel from your 55 just into the main section of the 20 to help seed the substrate a bit faster.

You NEED a source of ammonia though, or else any seeded material you add will die back through lack of food. If you don't want to use fish, that is fine, but you need some other method of feeding the bacteria. There are choices of pure household ammonia, half a prawn, daily fishfood feedings and a few less used ones. Ammonia is your best bet out of that lot but really, with a seeded filter and gravel, I'd just add a very light fish stock.

Do you need to keep the 20 cycled? If it is for quarantine/isolation/breeding/etc then I'd just run the extra filter on the 55g until you need it. It is a better option than having to keep an appropriate stocking of fish in the 20 and then having to relocate them should you need the tank.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 19:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
if you begin to put fish in there then that totally destructs the purpose of the tank. it is there in a "Just in case" tpe of scenario. you need it to be empty, so if you want to, you could put like an algae eater in there, but keep it cheap so that way when it come timeot put your QT fish, sick fish, or birthing fish; then you can either relocate it, or simply dispose of it (not like i am condoning animal violence or unneccesary euthanization) an algae eater/bottom feeder would keep the cycle going (with feedings of the animal of course!) and then less chance of a spike in times of necessity. but it would be better to keep it dry than full, because you will be tempted to fill it or stock it with fish! it happens to all of us, but it defeats the purpose of the tank! so if you do keep somtheing in there for the keeping the cycle going make it either some zebra danios of a cheapo algae eater/ bottom feeder that stays relatively small. also look into getting soem decorations for the tank as sick or stressed fish will want them to elp them acclimate better and feel more at ease in your care! although if these decorations are in play while treating a sick fish, they will need to be sanitized (as well as the rest of the tank) before you put the cycling fish back into the tank...

but as callatya says is probably the best and easiest way to go about it

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 20:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 68
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by daddySEAL
Very Interesting, Callatya
I'll try to run the new filter on one of my 55g tanks, until seasoned....about how long would it take to the the Bio-wheel fully functioning, Please?
(I hope the following doesn't have too many questions that you or anyone won't reply, Please????)

Well I guess I would like the 20g to run continuously cycled, because I may need it cycled and reading very quickly if a fish gets sick. I like your idea of using the 20g filter in my 55g along with the other 2 Bio-wheel filters that I run continuously to season the Bio-wheel on the smaller new one. IF it will fit along with those already being used, I won't put filter cartidges/medium in it...just run the Bio-wheel. I plan to put plastic plants in the tank(brought over from the larger tank to bring bacteria on "stuff" to the new tank), but no, or maybe VERY little gravel usually(except for a breeding slate...or slightly more gravel in substrate breeders cases).
Does that sound like an OK idea...to make bottom cleaning/syphoning simple?

I like brandeeno's idea of just keeping a small algea eater in the tank, once the biofilter and water have cycled....so it will be ready fast...IF I need it.
(would an algea eater suck up eggs?)

I buy new fish from stores all the time to slowly add to the stock I already have. I would need it ready for them for me to watch before putting in community tanks. If I get a yen for a new fish I see in a store...then the tank will all ready for them.

BUT...THE 1st function of the tank after getting it cycled will be to put an incredably prolific breeding pair of Angel Fish in it to try to see if the eggs they produce every 14 days without fail will finally live to be raised. They are in a community tank of lots of hungry fish that always eat them when hatched.

If after that project is used in it...and I use it for a medicated sick tank, HOW do you "sanitize" a tank? What is used, Please?
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 20:29Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies