SubscribeChlorine/Chloramine Remover
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
I've been using a chlorine/chloramine remove that also gets rid of ammonia when I'm doing my water changes. Is this slowing down my cycle? I've had the tank setup for a couple of weeks and still no sign of any nitrite or nitrate. Should I get some other chlorine/chloramine remover that does not remove ammonia for now and then switch back after my tank is already cycled to get rid of the ammonia? I had heard to buy what I have because the chloramine is broken down into ammonia by the chemical so one that neutralizes ammonia was a good thing. Now I'm just confused, somebody please help.
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2007 19:22Profile PM Edit Report 
caled
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 44
Votes: 0
male uk
Just to clarify, what is the source of the ammonia in the tank? If you're doing a fishless cycle then you perhaps need to add more ammonia, and if you're doing a fish cycle then perhaps more fish? This is actually assuming you have either of these, as the nitrites and nitrates won't rise without a source of ammonia on which the bacteria can feed.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2007 00:43Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
male usa
there are fish in the tank
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2007 01:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Some ammonia removers have been rumored to slow the cycle. I haven't seen any proof on that though. I know Prime will not and often use it. Amquel is the main one that seems to be a concern. Another reason they aren't used in cycling unless you have issues is that some can throw off your test kit so that the ammonia will test higher than it is. Also a problem that Prime doesn't cause.
If your getting ammonia you shouldn't need more fish since you will get nitrites even with a low ammonia level. You just may not get high nitrites but it should still be testable if the ammonia is testable. It can take weeks though to get to the nitrite phase. That's usually the slowest part of the cycle.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2007 03:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Doedogg
---------------
Banned
Kudos: 737
Votes: 445
female usa
It can take weeks though to get to the nitrite phase

I'll second that! I've been doing a fishless cycle on my 29 gal and its been going for 4-6 weeks (cant remember now) and I just got nitrite readings. That's fine with me though since I have no idea what to put in the tank yet.

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
~ Mae West
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 17:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
male usa
Well I finally got some nitrites to show up on my tests. YAY! Also, I did a little experiment with my chlorine/chloramine remover to see if it would mess with my ammonia test. I've determined that at least this remover does not alter the results. I'll have some pictures and a better description of what I did in another thread later on.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 20:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
EditedEdited by divertran
If your tank is not cycled you should not be doing water changes at all. It will only greatly prolong the cycle. As for your water conditioner, it really does not remove ammonia, but "globs" it up so it can be captured in the filter or something like that. That is why it will throw off your test readings, as was mentioned above.
The cycling process takes ammonia and converts it to nitrites, which in turn convert to nitrates all thanks to bacteria that grows and consumes the ammonia and nitrite. Why would you want to remove what you need to feed the cycle in the first place? For that matter what are you using for your ammonia source? If fishless cycling then you are only removing the ammonia you put in to start the cycle.
Anyway, the cycling process IS a lengthy one. My 29gal took just over six weeks to see nitrates. It can be shortened by seeding the tank with a filter that has been running in an established tank for a few weeks, or even better rob some substrate to seed the tank. This introduces the bacteria right to the tank, as long as it has't been out of water too long.
The only time I'd water change during the cycle is if the fish were looking mighty peaked, in which case you need hardier fish. what kind of fish are you using?
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2007 20:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
AquaClear_Fan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 25
Votes: 6
EditedEdited by AquaClear_Fan
Kordon makes the best products out there in my humble opinion, Amquel will not remove Ammonia it just makes it so it's not toxic to fish. That way the fish are not harmed and the bacteria can keep multiplying because the the source that they need to thrive on is still there, just not in a toxic form.

17 years experience with freshwater.
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2007 23:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies