Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCloudy water over and over
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 56
Votes: 1
male usa
Once again my water is cloudy. No matter what I do water changes, filter changes. Nothing! Water clearifier works for a week than right back. Any Ideas? This is the first time in a year I've had this problem. And I've not changed a thing! Could my filter just not be working like it used to and need replacing?
Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2008 07:04Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
If the problem has recently started and you have not changed or added any thing to the tank. It could easily be the filter not working as it should or it is not the correct filter for your tank.
I would never have a filter just right size for a tank I have always up sized and gone for a quality filter like Eheim.

I would also consider doing several very good gravel vacs.

I would like more info about your tank and filter plus all you tank house keeping.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2008 08:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
It could be the filter, you should look at it just in case but unless the impeller or motor are bad than, all filters are simple things and not much else can happen to them. they just pump water into filter and than return to the tank. If you haven't change anything, have you added any deco to the tank? Most likly your water source has change. I would test the water as it comes from the tap and see if the change is there. Tetra makes a product called easy balance and it work will in clearing up the water during water changes, it attachs particles together so the can not be free flowing. they sell sample sizes. So you might want to give it a try. I going to assume you gravel vac the tank weely in a four section pattern. Changing the vac area every week.

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2008 15:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Yea I do! It's a 20gal hex tank. With a penguin bio-wheel 150. tetra air pump,heater. 1-1/2"-2" gravel. I use all api for chlorine and such. The only thing I notice is my bio-wheel stops spinning pretty often. But it's still wet so.
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2008 04:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have never seen a Bio wheel and no idea of their working BUT if it stops there must be a reason, It is either blocked up some how, or just worn out and requires replacing.

The substrate could also be a problem it is no where deep enough it is best to have at least 3ins of a good quality 1-3mm gravel.

When did you do a deep gravel vac?

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2008 04:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
I did a water change and noticed my water is a green color. Any ideas.
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2008 05:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Ah... Green Water... Here Ya Go:

http://www.otocinclus.com/articles/greenwater.html

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2008 16:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
What the run time on you lights and are you adding ferts for plants...... algea blooms usually caused by tomuch of both of these. Also take a look at the tank location as the seasons change more light for longer time can shine on the tank from a window's in the room.

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2008 01:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies