L# Nitrate in Tap
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNitrate in Tap
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 3
Performed my first WC since setting up my 75 at my new home. Nitrates were 30. After the WC I didn't see much change. I tested my tap and it is approx 15. Is this possible or do I need to buy a new test kit? I use API.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2008 07:43Profile PM Edit Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
Do you test with liquids or with strips? I know my experience has been that the test liquids seem to be the most accurate.

My tap water has a pH of 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 but nitrates of 5ppm, based on testing with my API liguid test kit. So, it's certainly possible that you've got nitrates right out of the tap.

The best measures I have used to help lower nitrates are to do frequent water changes (10-20% weekly is good), keeping a well maintained tank along those lines. Don't over feed, and do gravel vacs (maybe 20-25% of the gravel each time) at every water change. Have live plants in your aquarium as they can/will absorb some nitrates.

I've only been at this a little over a year, but that's what I've learned from experience and what's been shared with me on here. I know that Keith stores his water in containers for a week or two prior to adding it to his tanks. He does this in order to cut down on the possibility of water borne disease coming from the tap.

Good luck!
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2008 15:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
First verify that your reading is correct. Use a quality
test kit that is not out of date. A reading of 10mg/l is
right at THE government limit for nitrate in potable water.

Nitrate is found increasingly in below ground water
sources (wells, etc) and is the result of fertilizer,or
sewage finding its way into the water supply.

Here is a clip from an article:

Nitrate is one of the most common contaminants found in groundwater nationwide. In Wisconsin, where about 70 percent of the residents get their drinking water from an underground source, about 12 percent of the private wells statewide exceed the 10 milligrams per liter, or 10 parts per million, limit set by the federal government for nitrate, according to the Central Wisconsin Groundwater Center at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point.

Commercial home water treatment companies such as
Culligan, make systems to remove the nitrate.

If you have a well, or your city does, here is a site
that may be of interest:

http://www.wellowner.org/

BTW, my well at 10,000 feet elevation within the
Rocky mountains, has a nitrate reading of 2. I was
amazed that we even had "A" reading much less a 2, but
it is well below the government limits.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2008 16:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 3
I do 30% WCs every 7-14 days and vaccum 50% each time. I've never had a problem with Nitrates that maintenance didn't solve. I'll have my LFS verify my readings.

I use API liquid tests. I was wondering if an old kit might give false high readings.

I don't have a well. I'm a little confused because I only moved two miles. I believe the Nitrates were about 5 at my old home. I did cross a state line though so I am dealing with a different company for water. My new place has a Culligen water softener that I have not yet hooked up. Not sure if it will deal with Nitrates. Maybe I should buy a hardness test kit. The pH is 8.5+ but it seems to not be buffered well. A very small amount of acid buffer sends it crashing to 6 in a hurry.
Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2008 22:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies