AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Water Quality
  L# Using Python hose for water changes??
   L# Pages: 1, 2
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeUsing Python hose for water changes??
1of2
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 3
I love my python especially since I have a large tank.

So, according to a lot of opinions it's seems O.K. to use tap water for adding fresh water to the tank.

This really depends on what your tap water is like. Please don't listen to anyones advice that doesnt know what you are working with. Some people have high amounts of Chlorine or Cloramide and should not be adding water directly to their tanks. Also, aging water WILL dissipate the clorine contrary to what someone else has stated. Especially if using an airstone in it.
Post InfoPosted 14-Apr-2006 13:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bar-B
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 27
Votes: 18
female canada
1of2 Stupid question I have, but since you brought it up, how do I find out if my tap water has high amts. of clorine and cloramide? How much is considered high? Do you know? Thanks, Barb

120 GAL. Community Freshwater (2 huge mated angles, 2 German rams, Red tail shark, 2 Pearl Grammies, 3 Bushynose Plecos, Swordtails

110 Gal. (3 Koi Angles, 3 black marble viel tail Angles) 20 Neon tetras, 1 red tail shark, 3 clown loaches, Platys
Post InfoPosted 14-Apr-2006 23:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
Actually it's not the "High" amounts that are a concern -
It's if ANY are present. Chlorine will dissipate over a
24 hour period if you leave the water sit out in an
open bucket.
Chloramine will not dissipate. Chloramine must be removed
with a "Water conditioner" that specifically says that it
will neutralize Chloramine.
There are many brands available at any LFS. Choose
one and follow the directions on the container.

It's always a good idea to either treat the water as you
replace it, or treat the bucket(s) of new water before
dumping into the aquarium.

To find out if your water treatment company uses either,
or both, and how much, simply call them, write them, or
go online to their website. Most will have websites in
which they list the water chemistries and their treatments
for a specific period of time.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 00:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bar-B
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 27
Votes: 18
female canada
Hi Frank, thanks that makes sense. You know this post has been going on for so long and I've received such a ton of great info. and comments from so many people to my questions about water conditioners and using Python hoses, thank you so much. FYI if anyone cares, you know what technique I've decided to use for water changes? I decided to play it safe so I use the Python to vaccumm up the gravel while removing the desired amt. of water. Then I use buckets (sorry Frank I'm not going to "fill them with dirt and put plants in them" some with aged room temp. water and for a larger water change I use boiled water to warm the tap water up to tank temp. I put in the recommended amt. of water conditioner into each bucket (this solves the conditioner amt. delemma) Think I have It all covered safely I hope huff puff Thanks again to all. Barb

120 GAL. Community Freshwater (2 huge mated angles, 2 German rams, Red tail shark, 2 Pearl Grammies, 3 Bushynose Plecos, Swordtails

110 Gal. (3 Koi Angles, 3 black marble viel tail Angles) 20 Neon tetras, 1 red tail shark, 3 clown loaches, Platys
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 00:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies