Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWater conditioners
EvilE
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 7
Votes: 0
male usa
What water conditioner is your preference for performing water changes? I have used Stress Coat, and now I am using Amquel+. There are so many kinds now a days, I am curious as to what you all think is the best! Prime, Amquel+, Stress Coat, which do you use?
Post InfoPosted 16-Dec-2007 19:32Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I've used pH 7.0 since the days I began. Sets the pH right and dechlorinates, what more could I ask for?

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 16-Dec-2007 20:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I use Stress Coat a lot, have been doing it so long I don't measure it precisely (more like know about how much I need for each water change). I forget what it's called, but for a while I used the 1 drop per gallon stuff that comes in a little yellow and red-labelled bottle, that works well for removing chlorine and chloramine too, but not the other stuff Stress Coat does (or purportedly does).

><>
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2007 00:25Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
Tetra Aquasafe and nothing else
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2007 01:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
I use Wardley Tri-Start - Neutralises chlorine, chloramine and harmful metals (?) and that's it.

It does exactly what I need it to without altering the pH or adding any other extras like ammonia binders, floculants, aloe juice or beneficial bacteria like some of the other water conditioning products I have seen. I think it's pretty economical too at a recomended dosage rate of only 5 ml of product per 250 litres of water.

I'm of the belief that the less "stuff" I add to my tanks the better. If I need to add things to address a particular issue such as buffering the pH or ammonia control in the case of a mini cycle or something I would rather use products specifically designed for my particular need, giving me more control over the amount of product and the possible risks and side effects.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2007 01:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have basically stuck to the same procedure for many years. After every water change I store the water in 4 25lt water containers all have screw tops but I never use them. Before I put the water in the containers I add 10ml of a "Dechlorinator"
When I am ready to change the water 45lt (after heating it up) I add Sera Nitrivec 10ml, A mineral conditioner 1tbs, a PH buffer 1tbs, 15ml of Geo and finally a liquid plant food 15ml, to a watering can (easier that from a 25Lt container)

The Betta tank exactly the same but far less amount additives plus I add 5ml of Melafix

Other than the last sudden deaths (water imported)I will be using water directly from the hot HW services for the next few months. I do not have any water problems or WS at all.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2007 02:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
ive used a couple diffrent ones so far but at the moment im pretty happy with my tetra aquasafe. works just great.

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2007 03:48Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
I use Wardley Chlor-out, an older version of tristart i guess. I also use Tetra aquasafe w/bioextract, along with melafix, flourish, excel, & stress zyme for weekly/biweekly maintenace. A lot, i know.....

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2007 08:12Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 75
Votes: 6
male usa
Tetra Aquasafe, enough said!

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
30g platy tank: 2 sunburst wag platys, 2 redtailed white calico platys, 2 red wag platys, 1 fry(not sure who it belongs to), 1 Golden CAE.
Bettas:1 VT male
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2007 08:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
I used Aquasafe for a long time, but now i am using Esklarin by Tropical.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2007 10:16Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
I've used stress coat, switched to a straight dechlorinator, switched to top fin water conditioner, now I'm back with stress coat. I think it works just fine. Got a bottle of prime and cycle, neither even been opened yet, over a year old each.
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2007 10:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
desertfish
-----
Small Fry
Votes: 6
male usa
I use stress coat and stress zyme, they both work well for me.
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2007 00:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
i use tetra aquasafe and tetra esy balance and API leafzone when i do water canges...

the easy balance helps to stabliize the water and also is supposed to remove the need for as frequent water changes as it binds the wastes to keep them trapt in the filter... i dont suggest not doing a water change over two weeks or 3 weeks with it but it depends on your bio load and i dont have very much of that in my tanks ... except with my oscar...

some times i also add cycle if i do a big WC or gravel vace...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2007 02:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
EvilE
-----
Fingerling
male usa
seems Tetra Aquasafe is the leader with Stresscoat coming in second. I am currently using Amquel+, but I may switch back to Stresscoat, or try Aquasafe......so many choices.....
Post InfoPosted 20-Dec-2007 05:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
EvilE
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Noone uses Prime?
Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2007 09:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tigermom
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 48
Votes: 59
female usa
I use Prime.I've only been using it for the past month or so and I really like it. I originally was using Top Fin, then Aqua safe. After finding out I had ammonia in my tap and the Top Fin and Aqua Safe not being able to neutralize or remove it I changed to Prime. It works really well and you get use to the smell. My only complaint is that the stuff kind of works like bleach on clothes. I have spilled twice on two different shirts and had a white out or bleached out stain in its place. Other than that I like the product and plan to stick with it!!

Tigermom
Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2007 05:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 101
Votes: 62
male canada
I use Prime too. 1 ml of Prime is good enough for 10G of water (my daily WC for some young Angelfish). A very cost effect product if you need to do large amount of WC frequently.
Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2007 06:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Prime is very very efficent, and is one of many peoples favorites. I have heard countless tales from people who have it, and TBH, i have never tried it myself. Its always on the expensive side, but pays off for it in the end. Its just that i have a sort of "Pot Roast" kind of tank where i just keep on buying small things to kind of contribute to the whole! Also, it is said that prime reduces the nitrAte levels gradually, but as for how, i can only guess that it uses anerobic bacteria like its other nitrAte lowering relatives. Aquarium Pharmeceutacles also makes something a little like it. Its called "Dechlorinator".....Just super concentrated. It looks like salt when dried up....

Anyway, i just want to put in what i know from reading on prime.

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2007 09:10Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Eyrie
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 16
male scotland
EditedEdited by Eyrie
I used to use Aquasafe, but had to stop when my water board changed from using chlorine to chloramine. The UK version of Aquasafe deals only with the former whilst the US version does both.

I now use Nutrafin's Aquaplus instead.

Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.
Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2007 13:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I use A.C.E. or A.C.N. if I can find them, but a lot of the time it is just what I can get as very few places stock the same brands. Often I get the superstrength or pond strength stuff as it lasts a bit longer. At the moment I'm using Chloramon. I go basic basic and avoid anything with 'promotes healthy slime coat' claims as I had some rotten experiences with some bettas just ditching their slime coat in response.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2007 18:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies