SubscribeWater paramters...pH problem?
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
Hey guys I'm just wondering how my tank is doing. I tested for the first time and this is what I got. Where am I in the cycle?

pH ~ 8.3
ammonia between .25 and .5 ppm
nitrite 0 ppm
nitrate between 5 and 10 ppm

I know my pH is high and I bought some pH down to fix that. I've put about 4 doses in my tank and the pH hasn't moved at all. Is there anything else I can do to get my pH down. I'm keeping 4 platies so it only needs to go down to about 7.5
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 00:25Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Odd. You shouldn't have ammonia and nitrate at the same time especially with 0 nitrites unless you've recently add more ammonia like adding more fish or your tapwater contains either one. How long has the tank been setup?

Don't use ph down. It will only drop the ph temporarily and then it bounces right back up. That will definitely kill fish. Platies will survive 8.3 ph just fine. Most of the fish you find at local stores will actually survive that ph without trouble and they will do so alot better than if you try to mess with it. A changing ph is far worse for fish than a slightly too high of ph. If you do want to lower it for some reason the best way is to first dilute it with pure water like RO or distilled and then if you want it even lower than that to use peat moss.
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 01:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
male usa
I haven't tested my tap for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. It has only been setup for about a week and a half. Are you thinking there could be nitrate in my tap then?
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 01:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 28-Dec-2006 01:42
This post has been deleted
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
It sounds like it. Most tanks won't start producing nitrates until at least 2weeks but usually closer to 4weeks unless you seeded it with gravel or filter media from another tank. It would be a good idea to test your tapwater in case. Although your test kit could also be bad.
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 01:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
male usa
well I just tested my tap for nitrate and ammonia and there isn't any of either in there...
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 01:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
Did you add anything to the tank, even water, from another tank when you set it up? Did you clean it or add more fish recently?
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 01:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
male usa
I have added nothing from another tank. I looked at my log and I added 4 fish exactly a week ago and these were the first fish. 1 fish died about 3 days ago and the store replaced it with another one. So they're all pretty new but 1 is on its 3rd day I think.
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 01:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
I have no idea where you got nitrates then. I would test it 3 days from now and see if the nitrates go up. If they do then your tank is somehow nearly cycled. It would probably finish cycling in a week or less if that's the case. If the numbers don't go up you introduced nitrates somehow and will probably be 2-3weeks before your tank is completely cycled.
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 01:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
male usa
I did setup the tank with the filter running for about 2 days before I added any fish. Would that have helped at all?
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 01:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
Setting up a new filter and leaving it running doesn't do anything but test if the filter works. It won't help cycle a tank unless you added something fairly fresh(still wet and not too many days old) from another tank.
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 02:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
caled
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 44
Votes: 0
male uk
EditedEdited by caled
As for where the nitrates came from, it is entirely possibly that they came with the platties, if you just poured the water in the bag they were in into the tank.
But please, stop using pH down? It causes nothing but problems, feel free to search the site for this. Altering the pH like that will only temporarily alter the pH, and can cause fairly wild swings. It is far more important to have a stable pH than one that a book says you should have.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 13:11Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies