Subscribe20 G what cichlids to stock?
fishsage
-----
Hobbyist
Tank You Daddy.
Kudos: 53
Votes: 16
male canada
My 20 will be empty soon, and I would like to try out some cichlids.
I was thinking maybe yellow labs and apistogrammas?
Does anyone have a "Dream stocking" for a 20G?
Dan

55G -5x Bosemani, 3x Emerald Cory,3x Red Rainbow, 3x Turquoise Rainbow. 20G-Empty. 10G -4x Danio 3x Cory Fry 1 Gold Mystery Snail. 10G- 1x CAE, 2x Tetra 1x ADF
Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2008 03:31Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
jase101
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 273
Votes: 1
male australia
certainly not yellow labs AND apistogrammas - very different water requirements...

a pair of apistos would look great - deck out yr aquarium with lots of plants, rocks and driftwood, and watch their gorgeous breeding behaviour. try cacatuoides or agassizi to start, but there are heaps of great species out there. a small school of tetras (embers, neons, black neons etc - stay small) will work as dither fish. see pics of my apistos and their tanks here:

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/jase101/
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 01:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
I was going to suggest Apistogramma sp, but jase beat me to it..
Yellow labs are african cichlids requiring a high pH level and fairly hard water, wereas the amazing apistos preffer soft, acidic water (although it has been known for cacatouides to spawn in neutral water, with nothing else in the tank..).
A. borelli is also a good starter fish.
Get a pair, you wont be disapointed.
I'd reccomend some nice heavy planting and a shoal of cardinal cichlid, get some kepang leaves in there, should look lovely..
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 01:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
toxic69
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
key hole cichlids , rams, dwarf acaras , african shell dwellers, could all work in a 20g or you could have one femail of the medium sized cichlids a femail firemouth or convict ect as long as they didnt get bigger than 5 inches, you could have one of the smaller africans like a yellow lab but it would be a pretty boring tank as there wont be enoff room to add anything else.
lots of things you could try just dont get anything bigger than 5 inches adult and if you do a pair they will probably make life hell for any other fish in such a small tank as most cichlids will kill to look after there babys.
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2008 16:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Veteric
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 549
Votes: 7
male canada
One very colorful kribensis, a small school of cardinal tetras, and some unique, small pleco or similar for the clean-up crew.
Post InfoPosted 29-Feb-2008 21:37Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
http://www.finsout.com/fish/index.html

link shows a few options on the other end of the spectrum. Your tap water would really shorten the list of possabilities. shellies and julies would go very nicely in a 20g if you have higher ph. might not be as colorfull as previously mentioned africans like apistos and kribs. Breeding behaviors are completly different. Kribs and apistos are deffinetly great to watch and by no means saying the others are better. Just saying different and are another option. shellies and julies live within a colony. this by itself is a huge difference. being able to keep generations together is fun to watch.

as far as dream tank i am currently working on a multi colony and a juli colony. ive also went with kribs and apistos. like i said neither is better only different so answer to the question...ill will take one of each
stupid MTS...allways influencing my decisions.
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2008 00:36Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies