Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe300Gal Plywood Aquarium
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 57
Votes: 1
male canada
I don't have the tank yet its being built right now, but as soon as i get it ill have pics for you guys.

So currently im thinking this is my stock:

1 jag
1 green terror
1 salvini
1 argentea
1-2 loisellei
1 red devil or trimac (this one im going to try wish me luck!)

What kind of catfish would work in there? Looking for some sort of oddball/catfish of somesort that won't get to large.
What do you guys think about a arowana as a nice addition? is this a possibilty?
I would like something extra that could live in there fine and thats not a cichlid.
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2009 03:48Profile PM Edit Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
wow,thats pretty far out list.
even thoo thats a big tank,mate i really dont think its going to work.
ive tryed it,while they are young and small,it will work fine,but as they grow so do there eyes for territory,and in a tank that big,they grow pretty fast.
just the jag,these guys are terminators.the jag pair i had,took over my whole 208gallon tank.
the green terror,that really depends on the fish,some are ok and mix well,but some are just TERRORS,hence the name.
the salvini,will be ok there not real big or nasty,nice looking fish too,even more when in breeding dress.
now the argentea,ive only ever had 2 of these fellas,but for the most part,they mixed well with other large cichlids and were able to hold there own!so they would be ok in my oppion.
now for the loisellei,these fellas get quite large,and the 1 male i had was fine while he was small,and started to become VERY aggresive with size.so that 1 kind of on the border line.
as for the red devil or the trimac,as nice looking as both these fish are,they are both VERY aggresive and very unpredictable.they have the means to kill tankmates real fast.even if you are able to mix the red devil or the trimac,consider them a time bomb,one day they will just get it in there head,and out comes a explosion of aggression,they will start despatching tankmates with ease.
honestly you have picked some real nice fish,however id do a bit more research and revise the list a bit.
even thoo its a large tank this isnt always the problem,a larger tank can permit you to mix them longer,but eventully some of those fish on that list will want the whole tank for themself.the jag,red devil,trimac are all prime candidates for this..
as for the arrowana,ive never had 1,however i only just got my first saratoga like 2 weeks ago.
they have a bad rep for eating tankmates,and being VERY NASTY.thats a 2 foot fish,with a huge mouth full of teeth.these fellas are a eating machine,curbing there hunger,while not trying to dirty your tank can become a problem,so top grade filtration is a must.
as for catfish,it will want to be something that can defend itself against all those aggressive fish,if not,it will need something nice and snugg to take shelter in.
or you will find it dead 1 morning with its eyes ripped out.
the last trimac i had,realized he couldnt hurt my buddys 38cm common pleco that i was minding for him,the pleco skin was just so tuff,and that pleco was lucky he only lost 1 eye,we were able to get the trimac out b4 she took his other eye.
so just choose your catfish with caution.
im currently looking for a massive catfish to put in with my saratoga...
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2009 09:16Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
Nice. Gotta show some pics once its up. Thats what on my list of things to build once I move

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2009 19:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
well to tell u wat cat fish are gona work i will ne demensions on the tank. thos cichlids will be fine just get some tinfoil barbs and that should cut down on the aggression a little if its a red devil ull be fine but if its a trimec ull be in trouble but all the other fish will be fine just make sure there are set territorys..... most large oddball cats get plenty big enough to eat most cichlids but they are aggressive enough to be with the cichlids plecos will be the best for the tank.....
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2009 23:13Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
96" x 30" x 24"
Post InfoPosted 05-May-2009 02:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
ummmmmmmmm u could try a crystal eye catfish if u can get ur hands on them...... they are exreamly aggressive and if the cichlids mess wit them they might take a bite out of the cichlid....... they get around 30 inches but takes a long time for them to get that big..... they got teeth and a very strong jaw i had a 2 incher rip off a chunk of flesh vey very painful!!!!!! u could house a tsn for like 1 or 2 years......
Post InfoPosted 05-May-2009 03:21Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
Whats a crystal eye catfish run for? I'm in Canada btw. I was also looking at marbled catfish and salfin pictus. They have TSN at the local petstore but they get way to big and i don't have room for one. They are also $40.00 which is pricey for a tsn
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2009 01:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
ummmmmm depends....... i got one for like $50 at 3 inches long........ sailfin pictus are pretty cool fish the only thing with the crystal eye cat is they are mean as hell....... i put a 3 incher in with a 11 inch oscar and he shredded the oscar and killed it he also killed 2 6 inch jags in a 90 gallon tank........
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2009 05:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
well that doesn't sound like a fish for me then
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2009 05:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
Hokese, thanks for the reply man. I think arowanas and jardinis are cool and all but like any fish they have different personalitys. The arowana's are supposed to do well until they reach the 8" mark. Thats when they snap and try to kill everything. Where do you buy your fish from? You seem to have quite a list of fish kept, some being fairly rare.

I'll planning out my orignal plan minus the arowana of course. The midas/red devil community can be done i've seen it many times. Its all really trail and error. I see the concern tho. I've problems arrise i have plenty of fish tanks to rehouse or possibilty to sell the fish. If the trimac doesn't play nice i have a spare 125 he could have. If only such a beautiful fish could be more commonly friendly like an oscar.
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2009 07:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
yeah it may work for you,but i think you will eventully run into aggression problems.
also ive seen red devils mixed sevral times too,i even done it,but just remember,aggression can be turned on at the drop of a hat.they can explode with fury.the last rd i had was a nasty bugger,in the end he had to have his own tank.im not even guna bother going into the trimacs temper.
just be carefull is all im saying.
1 thing i really think you should invest in or make yourself,a good sturdy divider,with lots of small holes in it.
i normally just make my own,that way i can customize them to the tank.
over the years ive found dividers a must have when dealing with aggressive cichlids.they have helped me out many times.
i got my sara from my guy at my lfs.
yeah ive kept everything you have on that list mate.at my old house i had 11 tanks up and running.
so i always had PLENTY of room,to try something new or different if it turned up at my lfs.
but good luck anyway.
if u dont mind me asking,how much is the 300 gal costing you.
also what filtration do you have planned for your new tank.
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2009 11:53Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
most of the fish from the same family as the crystal eye cat kill out of "spite" is wat people call it...... they just kill cuz they injoy it and they are my kind of cat...... im still trying new tank mates with my 4 incher i have had him for about a month kill around 15 diff fish all over 5"+ and all where cichlids except a 15 inch jar that got shreded....... this fish has cost me a lot of money but i think i know what im gona put with it...... gona try some mono peacock bass....... i got like four 5 inchers....... that im gona put in the tank...... if u want u could get 1 or 2 mono bass......very very very cool fish i have been growing mine out from 2 inches long just hope this works out......
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2009 14:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
male usa
So you are saying in the last month he has killed 15 fish?? Why exactly do you keep putting fish in with him? You would think after a few you would get the message......
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2009 09:11Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
wow 15 fish,i think i would have stopped after he killed say 3.
id be putting him on his own.
think of how much of a terminator hes guna be when he is fullgrown.
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2009 14:33Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
well i plan to try to get some tin foils in there as long as they are fast i think they sould be fine this is got to be in the top 2 fish i have at this time and the other is bargrius yellier!!!!! yea hes killed a lot of cichlids...... they where the survivers of my old pairs spwans!!!!!!
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2009 13:54Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
EditedEdited by Mez
bargrius yellier????
After a day of thinking, i know what you mean. Spelling through me off!
Post InfoPosted 10-May-2009 00:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stud_man50
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 16
Votes: 13
male usa us-florida
any updates?
Post InfoPosted 09-Aug-2009 23:15Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
Well the tank is here now, and it cost $800 I drove 4hrs to Winnipeg and picked it up. Once i had it in my basement i started building the stand which cost about $80 all in all. I then painted the whole lot now its currently drying, tommorow i will be adding the water filters etc etc...

I also picked up a trimac, grammode and a cuban cichlid.
Post InfoPosted 15-Aug-2009 08:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Naamphong
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
female ca-ontario
Do you have your tank up and running fellow Canuck?

Newbie fish hobbyist
Post InfoPosted 28-Nov-2009 14:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies