SubscribeAngel spawning..help
mews
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 33
Votes: 1
male australia
Yikes I wasnt ready for this.
I purchased two Angels a few weeks back with some other fish it was an all or none deal. I had previously decided that angels were probably the only "large" fish I was going to have in this tank anyway and so the deal was good. Since then I have grown very fond of my angels and the last few days they have behaved strange. After doing some reading they are definitely spawning.
With some anxiety I segmented the tank using flywire (all a I had), hustled most of the other fish into the 2/3 section and left the Angels in "their end" of the tank with the broad leafed Radican Swords and Water Sprites. I used air line suction cups to hold the net to the glass. There is a slight gap however and some fish slip between but at least most are kept up the other end the Angels can fend off the rest.
Reading thru http://websvirginia.com/angels/abfaqprt.htm
Ill turn the UGF at the Angel end off tonight? It will reduce the flow and suction to gravel in that end.The canister will be sufficient. As I have no idea what these parents are like I guess I just sit tight?

thoughts and ideas welcome.
I might try and find a perspex divider to replace the make shift flywire.

My 5footer
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2379/2242540621_1a81dcb3c8.jpg
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2008 00:05Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
For a DIY divider eggcrate is good if you have large fish; it's strong and sturdy and pretty easy to set up. However, if you have smaller fish, plastic canvas is also good. It's used for sewing or something arts and crafts like that, so you can find it sold at such stores. Problem is the darn stuff floats and is also more bendable, so you have to secure it more tightly and stiffen or secure the edges. Flywire, I suppose, isn't a bad alternative to it, though it's even thinner. I don't know if you know what I'm talking about, but I like to use plastic binding bars to stiffen the edges of the divider. The top can be secured to the top of the tank with a wire in the plastic binding bar (used for holding together reports) on each edge of the divider and folded over the tank edge, or you can figure out some other way that might work better. I just take some rocks and put them at the bottom edge of the divider and hope that the top stays straight, beause I'm too lazy and don't feel like DIY-ing it so that it actually secures to the edge of the tank, not that it can't be done.

Can't talk about the actual breeding, haven't bred Angels before...

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2008 06:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 101
Votes: 62
male canada
Hey Mews,

Relax.
Have they spawned yet? What size is your tank and what other fish are there?

If they really start to spawn, you'll have many more chances to get a batch of frys raised. They'll spawn every 7 - 10 days, if the previous batch fails.

But a community tank with UGF is not an ideal place to raise angel frys. The survival rate of the frys will be very low or none.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 16:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mews
-----
Hobbyist
male australia
Its been a holiday long weekend here and of all the times, my network has been down.
The angel story is all but complete. Many eggs were laid on the saturday. From those watching she and he did everything as expected. I wasnt there but it all looked good. Sunday, the eggs had thinned out a little. There were one or two white. This morning, monday, I awoke to see no eggs at all ;(

A few fish did get past my seperation net. An SAE, BN catfish, Khuli loach and a molly but they hd never shown any interest in the eggs so I dont suspect them. At most times the Angel parents seemed to be caring and inspecting/defending the leaf so I guess things just didnt work out this time around. I turned off the UGF in that end of the tank too.

Like you say I guess we wait another week or so for the next lot allthoug I wish I knew what the disaster was.

My 5footer
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2008 00:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 101
Votes: 62
male canada
It is not uncommon for the inexperienced pair to eat their first few batch of eggs or wrigglers. Let them try a few more times. Or if you prefer, you can raise the frys artificially.
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2008 05:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mews
-----
Hobbyist
male australia
Well I wasnt ready so why should they have gotten it right

Yep we will leave them to it for a few goes and see how it turns out. Id rather separate them from the other fish, than raise them artificially. The khuli being about the only one that seems to defy me and my divider but I dont think they would be a problem.

Steady as she goes and more reading

My 5footer
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2008 00:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies