SubscribeBreeding large CA/SA cichlids
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 57
Votes: 1
male canada
EditedEdited by quick_silver_2694
I was planning on doing a species only tank. What do you think I should try. I would love to breed these:

1) Dovii (Lago Nicaragua sp) (would be a challenge)
2) Fredricksthalli 'La Ceiba'
3) Festae
4) Trimaculatus
5) Motaguense

These fish are very rare where i live. I know of people who would buy them off me. It would be nice to get some of these circulating around this area.I plan on ordering them online. I have connections with the Motaguense, Festae, Dovii and Freddys in Edmonton, so that would save me money. The trimac is the only one i would have to order offline.

Any Canadian's on this site that own a trimac?
I was also curious if there are members that have bred any of these species before. Thanks in advance
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2009 07:57Profile PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
hahahaha yay a question for me!!!!! i have bred all these before i woulndn't tey to put any other fish with them.

1. Ok for The dovii u would need a 180 to 240 gallon tank to just to keep them and a 180 will be ok till the male gets 20 inches long then u will need to get the 240.... These fish are easy to breed aslong as u get a pair. Large males will be truely agro and make sure the female dont get beat up or killed when the males snaps eventualy.

2. Ok for the freddys u can go with a 75 gallon for a pair and just keep the water good and u should be able to get them breeding just use taricata flower pots.

3. Ok for the festaes they grow fast and then start to slow down a bit un like the doviis that grow crazy fast. u will nee a larger tank for these to a 180 should work for a pair. festaes males will get agro 2.

4. True Trimacs get big and very very agro and like most cichlids will breed if u keep good water and a good quality foods. they are cool and a 180 for a pair should be fine.

5. RTMS can get kinda big id go for a 125 gallon for a pair they are one of the most beautyful cichlids out there once again keep the water good feed good foods always and flower pots work great for them to lay there eggs on give a few rocks so they can pick the spot.

For all the fish id have the tanks have pots and rocks in the tanks wat ever one u want id get like 10 and let them pair up. keepin the babys is easy id just leave them in the tank till the 1/2 inch long and have a 55 as a grow out tank or give them to stores wat ever u want but will start to pick on the pearents after 1/2 inches long. u should have a extra tank for the females to go in if they get beat up by the males some times this happens.
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2009 08:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 57
Votes: 1
male canada
EditedEdited by quick_silver_2694
Very nice reply , got all the basics outa the way. Just another question for you.

What about instead of extra tank for female, i throw a divider in there? would this work?

Also what have you bred b4? sounds like you have bred a few of these.

Which would you say from experience have the best personalitys outa the bunch?
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2009 01:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
when i was a lot younger i use to breed cichlids for some extra cash so i have bred all these most i had 1 spawn and gave a way. the doviis males get huge and if u dont got thick glass they can break it and thats no good they also require a larger tank.

Dividers will work when young but when they get bigger than 12 inches if they really wanted to get threw the divider they will and thats for all but the freddy. i would have like a small 40 gall breeder for the female i have had many fish killed cuz i thought a divider would work.....

The personality really depends on the fish.... one of my male doviis banged on my glass when my cat was in front of it scared the cude out of my cat and now the cat wont go any where any tank...... lol

rtms look the best and got good personality. the ones that i liked the best where rtms and doviis. All my breeders where wild caught and where a lot of money but i sold the F1s back to the guy that sold me the pearnets. if u order online wat site would u use?
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2009 05:45Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies