L# Breeding my Jack Dempsey's
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBreeding my Jack Dempsey's
napower05
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 0
male usa
I have 2 jack dempseys one male and one female and i have had them for alomst 2 years now together and then grow up together...since they were about a 1inch each......now they are currently in a 40 gallon breeder tank. They get along great with each other and there always by each others side but, why have they breed yet? any ideas
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2006 23:18Profile PM Edit Report 
mrsmonty
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 58
Votes: 33
female canada
hmmm.. i'm not sure. I got 6 approx. 2 and a half inch JD's..and in two weeks two had paired off and bred... How big are they? I'm not sure how fast they grow.. and I'm not sure if size is an issue.. maybe someone else will jump in.. but i've had mine for about a month and they just layed more eggs!!!

Could you maybe accidentally have 2 females... or 2 males (which is unlikely..unless they are still fairly small)...again.. hope someone with more insight can help..

I hope it works out for you...
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2006 05:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Jason_R_S

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 2421
Votes: 391
male usa us-indiana
Could you maybe accidentally have 2 females...

that's what I was thinking. do you have pics of your dempseys so we can be sure they are male and female. one other thing though, even if they are male and female there's still no guaruntee they will breed. the best way to get a breeding pair is to grow up several juveniles and let a pair form that way.
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2006 08:29Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mrsmonty
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 58
Votes: 33
female canada
that's how i did it lol.. FInally something i did right!! haha
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2006 23:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
faeriefish
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
female canada
I have an adult... not to sure if it is male or female. I do have photos tho if anyone would be interested in having a look at my fish and giving me their opinion...

Does anyone know how old they live? I saved mine from a snowbank (somebody did not want him anymore... don't worry it never actually hit the snowbank)about 3 years ago. It has always been the same size and is just now healed up from its rooming with a Red Devil.

Never bred fish before although I have hatched out gecko eggs... Fish could be interesting...
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2006 00:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
napower05
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
The Male is about 10inches and the female is about 7 inches and yes pictures are coming. Im pretty sure one is male and one is female bc that male color are A LOT! brighter then the females
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2006 15:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies