Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeConvicts
Maddeningdream
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 25
Votes: 1
male usa
Ok i just picked up 2 small male convicts,The y were free so ican't complain.I'm a tetra guy so i know hardly anything about cichlids aside from their water conditions.I have a couple of questions.
1.What should i feed them their only about 1.5 inches right now.
2. will the males fight and kill eachother.
3.what should i put in the tank i heard they like caves.
Anyother advice would be greatly appreciated.

Est solarus uth mithas,My honor is my life
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2007 18:03Profile PM Edit Report 
JYJason
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 90
Votes: 1
male usa
Caves may definately help to allow each convict to establish their own territory. As far as whether or not they will fight, how big is the tank? In a large enough tank they should be fine, but with two convicts of that size I wouldn't go any smaller than a 20 gallon to start out with. My convicts mainly ate cichlid flakes at that size, but they also enjoyed crumbles and small pellets. Once or twice a week I ssuplemented their diet with bloodworms, and every once a while beefheart to enhance their growth. And btw... whatever you do, don't get a female. Breeding them sounds fun, and it is the first time, but I've done it before and I ended up with about 70 con's in four seperate tanks.
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2007 18:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
amilner
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 654
Votes: 0
male uk
What size tank do you have? I know previous advice was two males should be OK but I'd disagree. Once they get to full size, dominance and space will probably/almost certainly become an issue to worry about. Personally, I'd rather have the hassle of having to 'swap' a brood of young than let them beat the you know what out of each other.
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2008 00:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies