L# Firemouths
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFiremouths
RLHam3
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 34
Votes: 0
i was thinking about starting a firemouth set up in a 30 gal with a penn-plax canister filter. if i was to get a male and a female and i wanted them to breed how would they do. the only other fish in there is a bristlenose pleco. would they get aggressive? and any tips on sexing them would be really helpful. any tips on firemouths in general would be nice.
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2008 19:17Profile PM Edit Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
I've never kept Firemouths, but that would be a good setup for a pair. You don't have to worry about them getting too aggressive with the BN unless they start breeding, and even then the BN would probably be okay.

As for how they would breed, they are egg layers. More info can be found on their profile page here.

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/512.htm
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2008 19:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RLHam3
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 34
Votes: 0
how about dither fish? (i really like tiger barbs). do u think i could add 4 or 5 of those? if not what kind of dither fish could i use?
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2008 21:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I would strongly recommend against the Tiger Barbs... They are pretty nippy and fiesty 24/7. I don't see those firemouths putting up with that for long. There is bound to be carnage. I had put a pair of FM's in with my TB's. It got pretty dicey pretty quick. I took the FM's back.
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2008 22:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
My Tiger Barbs haven't harassed any of the fish they've been with, including Bettas and Gouramis. If you have a decent sized school they seem to leave most other fish alone. Mine still occasionally annoy my RTBS. I say annoy because I've never witnessed them actually nipping or biting at any of my fish.

IMO, if you have a spare tank you could move either the Firemouths or Tiger Barbs to if it doesn't work out, I see no problem in trying it.
Post InfoPosted 03-Aug-2008 02:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 81
Votes: 3
male usa
Fire Mouths might still harrass plecos. Before I brought my fire mouth to the LFS recently this summer, it would bug my small pleco. That was a full size adult fire mouth.
Post InfoPosted 03-Aug-2008 04:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
EditedEdited by Mez
get 5 or 6 juvies.
If you can get adults sexing is real easy. Males are a lot larger and have extremely long dorsal tips, like 2 inches.
They do get aggressive when they breed but a decent sized plec can holds its own with most things.
I would get a male and 3 females as adults and let one pair off - take the rest back.
I spawned this fish loads of times, really easy and produce decent fry.
Edit: tiger barbs are no match for adult firemouths as fast as they are, good target fish if anything.
Post InfoPosted 03-Aug-2008 19:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies