AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Cichlid Central
  L# First african cichlid tank!!!!!!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFirst african cichlid tank!!!!!!
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
ok well i think im gona set up a 90 gallon tank and make it a african style tank...... i really have no idea wat to stock it with but they will have to go in with 5 diff bichirs and maybe eventualy more....... they have to get atleast 3 or 4 inches long cuz they will be food for my fish if they dont....
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2009 09:27Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
You may want to rethink the birchirs. They may just eat all your fish, pending on species, they will also get rather too large for your tank.
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2009 17:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
well the 90 gal is a 48"L 18"W i think 22"H they will be fine dont got any lower jaws so they stay around 12 inches but i do got a ornate that will get much much larger but ill probly end up selling it and or giveing it to my friend...... bichirs will be fine with the africans aslong as i rember that i need to get them at a larger size.....
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2009 22:00Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own." -Mythbusters

Why take the time to join a forum, ask advice, then ignore it. Ill admit I didnt know what a brichir was but a quick google search has forced me to agree with Mez and i hate that ! AND its YOUR fault !

" You really need a 6 foot long tank for Brichirs to do well " google is your friend.
Post InfoPosted 13-May-2009 15:00Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
for a bichir endlichir yea u need a 6 foot tank but for the smaller top jaw bichirs do fine in a 4' by 18"....... im not rejecting advise im just saying that i dont have any of the larger sized bichirs........
Post InfoPosted 13-May-2009 20:16Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Some stay smaller...but not very small. What species is yours? (latin name)
Post InfoPosted 13-May-2009 21:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
i got 2 bichir Senegal, 1 bichir Delhezi, 1 bichir ornate, and 1 bichir plamas B........ all are above 6 inches........
Post InfoPosted 14-May-2009 01:45Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
EditedEdited by zachf92
IMO the senegal bichirs are the only ones i would put in that tank. All of the other ones will eventually get way too large.
Also, I don't know if this is true, being that most info you find on bichirs these days is incorrect, but i've heard that ornate bichirs can get pretty feisty towards other bichirs.
If that is true, i'd imagine that it would become much worse in tanks that aren't large enough to give all of them their own space.

But anyway, are you doing an african riverine setup, or an african rift lake setup? I know bichirs are resilient fish, but i dont know if they'd be too happy in a rift lake setup.
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2009 03:25Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
well yea ornate get to be pretty mean...... dels only get about 2 inches bigger the senys....... the tank is probly gona be a riverine set up just most of thos cichlids are a lot more expensive.....
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2009 03:41Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
EditedEdited by zachf92
Maybe you could get away fitting the delhezi in there as well, but you will need someone elses opinion, as i'm no expert.

I have a senegal bichir in a 75g, and even though hes only 9in long, it still seems as if the tanks too small for him. I could only imagine what it would be like for 5 bichirs in a 90g.

As far as other fish go, I highly encourage you to get a couple ABF's and a Leopard Ctenopoma. I'm currently keeping both, and they've easily become two of the coolest fish i've ever kept.
As for cichlids, look at all the amazing choices - http://www.hippocampus-bildarchiv.com/db/eng/62/2/63/0/list.htm
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2009 04:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
i have all but 2 or my bichirs for a year now all but the palmas B. and ornate are only around 6 ot 7 inches but my dels and senys are all around 12+
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2009 06:32Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies